Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 27][Town 01]Argria

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@RobA: Heh, well, I'll cut him some slack on his sig since his maps are so good. Actually, I did tone them down just a bit - and now they're spread throughout the whole city.
    @industrygothica: I'll be lucky to finish just *this* part of the area at this rate. I would like to get around to that fort I talked about (Bastion) and maybe the Stoneshaper's Guild fortress - a dungeon map, I reckon.

Anyway, here's the latest. Much more color and shading variation. Think I'm done with that part. Next time I get an hour to work on it I'll start converting the flat roofs to slanted - as is done in the more detailed area in the small section southeast of the fort. I was turning my shading layer on and off...amazing what a difference those few shaded roofs make. I think the map will really pop when that is spread around to the rest of it.

I'm still pondering how to handle the tents/yurts, hippodrome, and fort. Will probably wait on those until I at least get the rest of the city finished on the macro scale, but before I start putting in plants, courtyards, and all of that crazy detail.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argria---300ppi..jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	22667  

Here's a *very* rough pass at the fortress and tower. Not so great but it's a start. I think I want those roofs on each of the towers. Have to work on that a bit. Also, the shadows are botched. Suggestions for improving any of this?
    M

Name:	Capture..PNG 
Views:	475 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	22759  

Absolutely stunning. Now you have to map the rest of the area.

If this is a desert town, then there shouldn't be any grey buildings. Red maybe, if there is clay in the area, but grey?

Good point. I had wondered about that...but I'm no geologist. I had imagined the original fort having been constructed by the "Stoneshaper's Guild" but I guess they'd need granite to work with to get granite buildings. I'm working with D&D magic as a background here but forget how wall of stone works...whether it creates stone or merely uses what's available.

Okay, any more stone speakers here? What's the consensus here? Should I ditch the grey and go with more deserty colors?
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well they could have transported the granite from somewhere...

You might consider dropping the gray or shifting it to a dirty yellow/sand color or a more reddish hue as A.I.C. suggested.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'll try to give the colors at least a tap in the right direction. In the meantime here's a quick (again, *rough*) take on the hippodrome. I'm going to need some lessons on constructing these complex shadows. Mine are mediocre at best.
    M

Name:	Capture..PNG 
Views:	201 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	22777  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I did a 'Circus Maximus' for my Shadizaar map and posted the .PSD file if you're interested.

Not sure how well it would work with your map, but your welcome to use it if you like.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Weird...reply vanished. So, anyway, thanks for reminding me of that map. Very nice and that's a great building. It's a different style than I've got here but I will certainly be happy to steal some of the architectural ideas like that barrier in the center...hadn't thought about that (refs? what's that? lol. maybe I should look at some once in a while). Thanks again.
    M

The stones used for building don't have to be granite. Think of the Egyptian pyramids, who are made from limestone (not sure). Just google desert fort. Should be clear enough what material were used most of the time.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast