Thread: [Region 1][Map 27][Town 01]Argria

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heh. Thanks on the icons. They're actually pretty easy...maybe I can do a tutorial. Just used some "concept art" techniques on them and they did turn out pretty cool. Well, mainly the city one turned out cool. The other two are so-so.

Ah. The wall. Well, truthfully, because the city is on the west side of the right place to *build* a wall But I put some thought into it and decided that maybe it was a two-tier defense. The forward position gives you a better view of the steppes and earlier warning. The river is a good place to bog down invaders and reduce their numbers - and give warning to the folks on the wall in case you fail to turn them back.

Secondly, the town could serve as sort of the last safe place for caravans setting out across the steppes to rest up and resupply before leaving into no-man's-land. Same goes for those coming in - it'd take longer to get up the elevation to the gate in the wall, especially if you've got the horde on your tail.

It's positioning was one of the reasons I added Bastion. I figure there are others along the river but Bastion is the big one. They're really just outposts writ large...and Argria eventually grew into a city/town. I was thinking maybe it had a more "forty" name long ago.
    M

[edit]Oh, and, also: without the outposts you might have nomads sniffing right up to your doorstep. They helped the kingdom take and hold the land west of the mountains and provided a handy buffer zone, even though no one really wanted to live there. Maybe there'd now be quite a few relatively new towns between them and the mountains.

I'm mainly making this stuff up as I go along, trying to find the story in the map you made. So, please, do ask questions if something doesn't seem right...it'll prompt me to come up with a plausible explanation or make changes so things make sense.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 12-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.