Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new map so far.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is nice. It seems very accessible and user-friendly and I could see it being copied quite often. The mountains seem to stand out a lil much for me, though, maybe use a gray instead of black, shrug. Still quite nice and I might have to give this style a go.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Yes I see what you mean about the mountains. I will see what I can do about that.

Very nice Locution. Everything fits really well together .
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Very nice map, Locution. Very legible and fun to pore over. One can get a good sense of the world from your choices of place-names.
    _ben

Blog Entries

I really like this map and thank you for making me a royal cartographer. I actually like the dark mountains although I guess they could do with being closer to the hill shadowing in colour so as to tie the two elements together.

The only issue I can see (and you are probably okay with it as you must have seen it when you were doing it) is that you have used hills from both brush packs. Littered throughout the map are hills with shadowing on both sides although they mainly appear to be shadowed from the opposite side to your mountains. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Very nice. Good shapes and it's huge which gives one a lot to explore.

LOL, I noticed Ramah as the cartographer as well, nice touch.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The hills! I can honestly say it was the hills that gave me the most trouble. Even with having the amazing brush pack I had a hell of a time making the hills go where I wanted them to. I had hoped the shading on the hills was subtle enough that it would escape notice. I may take the time later down the road to fix this issue but for now I feel the need to take a break from this map.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice stuff!
    I look forward to seeing this in the finished section

regarding the hills, don't feel too bad about it, they're small enough comparatively I don't think the shading is a huge issue.

I ran into a similar issue working on my latest maps, I realized when I got the forests done that half of them were shaded one direction, the other half the other way

I ended up making duplicate brushes for each one. basically I stamped everything down, flipped the image, then added to my brush set. This way I now have 2 full sets, each shaded in a different direction. Perhaps you could try that for your next attempt?
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 12-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

The horror! I knew I mixed up hills from both the left and right brush packs but I didn't even notice I used predominantly ones shaded from the wrong side.

And I was so proud...

Luckily this should be an easy fix its just that I need to summon the will.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I didn't even notice I'm more of a "big-picture" guy than detail-oriented though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast