Thread: Map of Andalor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Thanks guys.

@Jaxilon: Yeah, exactly. It's so much fun messing around with the buttons. It's kinda like "a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

@industrygothica: I'll definitely check out the brown mountains. Well, actually I already did and I like it. But right now I have nearly every mountain have its own layer, to make sure I can easily move, scale or mirror them whenever necessary. Once the mountains are done though, I'll put them down to just one layer and then colorize them.

As for the trees ... hmm, not a bad idea. I've tested it with one of the forests, but I need to try again once all forests are down to one layer. To see if I like the overall look.

Thanks for your input, I'll take note of all your suggetions. And an updated map is soon to follow.

Regards,

~~Rongar

Okay so --- after a short break (*cough cough*) I've sat down again and continued working on my map. In case you wonder, I redid the shape of the landmass and other things, but that's not so important right now. My primar questions are: What do you think of the forests? Are they any good? Do they actually fit with the ancient paper-scroll-style I'm trying to achieve? Or would you recommend using non-isometric forests with less colour?

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks,

~~Rongar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeuAndalor.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.61 MB 
ID:	20298  

If you are going to use iso mountains, then you need iso trees as well (I learned that one the hard way). You might want to desaturate them some though, as they are a bit jarring to the eye now. My eye, anyway. The forests might be a little dense for this style as well, but that's just my opinion.

It's all looking great though. Keep it up!

-IG

Okay, I've got an update already. I think the forests look a bit better now.

I've altered the colour and added a cloud texture aswell as a border for each bit of forest. Questions still stand though - what do you think of it? Better now?

[Edit] Woah, sorry there, IG; didn't notice you already answered. Thanks for your point of view and your kind advice! What do you think of the new version?

Regards,

~~Rongar

Name:	NeuAndalor2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	20305  
    Last edited by Rongar; 01-14-2010 at 09:53 PM.

I like the forests a lot better, though I'm not sure about the black stroke. I still think they're a bit bright for this map, but overall it's looking better.

-IG

Time for an update, I think.

After I've come to the conclusion, that I'm not yet good enough to develop my own style in mapping, I ended up changing the overall style to a much more "hand drawn" one. I'd like to thank Ramah and others for their great brushes they've offered here.

As for the map; the labels are just place holders for now, knowing that some of them are a bit challenging to read (well, for most of you anyways ). Mountains, forests and rivers are also not finished yet, but I wanted to give you a sneak peek of the direction I'm heading to now.

Comments are welcome nonetheless though. Especially about the lakes in the very right of the map; like if they are realistic or if they would normally run dry and turn into separate rivers.

Name:	Neu.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	4.61 MB 
ID:	21338  
    Last edited by Rongar; 01-23-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Typos