Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Darklands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, they do fit much better...in fact I'd say that they fit perfectly. I'm wondering about the colors from underneath showing through and thinking that maybe you need a layer just underneath the mountain lines so that the mountains can have their own colors apart from the land/grass. Just wondering, might not work, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Well, what's going to happen next (just finished the forests) is that I'm going to go through and work up the text, mountains, and forests so they get the same kind of effect as the characters on the border.

Once that happens, i'll decide on whether I'm keeping it, modifying the ocean again, or scrapping the idea and going down a different route entirely.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wip

And.. here's the test. Definitely changing the font, this one gets the idea across but I need something thicker to look just right.

gotta play around with the forests and mountains a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	19352  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Can you just 'bold' the font? Or maybe duplicate the layer and offset one of them a few pixels.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, that works.

I did both, actually Faux Bold, then copied and transposed 1 px down and left.

Thanks!

And after a lot of fighting with the oceans again, I finally decided to let the ocean locations blend in instead of doing the blood text there. I jsut gouldn't get it to look right and still match the land based text.

I'll probably go around and curve some or all of the water locations. It may also seem odd that there is a lack of rivers, but those are not a focus for this map.

I think it's starting to approach finished, yay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	19356  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool beans, I actually had an idea that worked!

One thing I noticed is just of the Stormlands you have the "Sea of ??", just wanted to point it out in case you overlooked it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, there's a few water locations that are yet to be named.

Just waiting for input from those involved directly in the process

And while I do that, I can get back to the lego map

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think you're puffy trees might be a lil big...sitting right next to the mountains makes em look huge.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

how the heck did I not see that.

Blah! Well, at least the forests weren't has hard to do as I expected. 100% manually placed, but I found a few ways to make it seem less tedious (plus I have about a dozen of each type of tree to spread around, woot.)

Thanks for pointing that out.

My finished maps

Yeah, I agree with Ascension. Trees should be a bit smaller...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast