Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Darklands

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip

Well, it's been almost a week, and i've got a little work done, enough to repost.

I kept trying to do the trees, redo the trees, redo them again, scrapped that and redid them yet again... and then realized i wasn't getting anywhere. Plus I started getting feedback from others on the project (finally!) regarding placements, so i figured i'd work that in before i try the forests yet again. (might work better if i'm not in a drug induced haze while working, that can get get very tedious, heh - and for those who don't know of my situation, that's not as bad a statement as it sounds at first, lol)

Anyhow, reworked a few mountains, added some rivers, readjusted the scale (it's now approx the size of africa in square miles rather than europe, asia, india and greenland all mashed together). Also named everything but one ocean, and reworked the Kraken Islands to be ground zero of a massive comet impact. Oh, and redid the compass rose, I rather like it now.

Looks like a lot more work than it is when i write it out like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	19598  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's awesome, man. I love the hanged Lovecraftian creature under the Scale marker.

This has the look of a very dark world/setting...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ooohh butt cheeks & tentacles, that's a new one
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Diamond: yes, it will be dark. And we've decided to not tone it down either - it'll be a very scary place when all is said and done, i think.

Steel General: Ok, I hadn't quite thought of it in that particular way.. but whatever floats your boat

Ramah: I have to admit something here. I put together a layer of trees much like yours, and they have both been re-sized so the trees have come out quite a bit smaller (i was using yours as a test, if you recall). Somewhere along the line I lost track of which layer was which - my hand drawn trees look amazingly like yours at this scale. The evergreens are mine, I know that, but the deciduous ones could be either. I forgot to rename the layers properly as I went, so they're both labeled "forest", plus i keep re-ordering things while I work on them... it's been a strange week. I recall you saying that the brushes and such derived from your maps are free to use, but I figured I better toss out props to you while I still remember, seeing as there's about a 50% chance they are yours, hah

(i'm gonna blame the meds for this one)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Hehe. Well it's fine if they're the ones I posted. It's what I posted the layer for in the first place. You could have saved yourself the hassle of doing it. And if it was anything like when I did mine, it was a long and very boring job.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Well, as with most things, I like the satisfaction of being able to say "that's all my own work". But really, when you can't tell apart, you're right.

My finished maps

Blog Entries

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I'm of the same opinion.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Wip

Ok, I think i'm ready to call this puppy ready for labels (towns, important locales, etc)

We settled on a different scale (half the previous) which places this at a similar square mileage to Africa (actually works out to 84px=100mi, which is on the scale marker).

I think I'm finally ready to stop fiddling with the ocean layers

Redid the compass rose lettering to fit in a bit better.

The most obvious move will be that I've finally finished the forests. Plus I went through and gave the blood smudges, then redid the coast outline with a different stroke and overlayed another layer where it has the coastline penciled in to give it a more hand-traced look.

I wasn't expecting to make this much progress this quickly, I think taking the pressure off from the competition is what let things open up again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	19619  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 12-18-2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: wrong button hit

My finished maps

holy jeev's that is excellent. My only criticism would be the location names, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an expertly crafted piece. Good job!

By criticism of the location names, are you refering to the actual names themselves, or the style they're done in?

If the former, well, they're not my names, my job was to get them to fit into the world geographically speaking

Thanks for the compliments though!

My finished maps

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast