Thread: The Known World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip March Update

I've had little time to work on this map, and it seems to be evolving in actual geological time. So here is an update a very long time coming.

The map background is very close to done. All that remains is the insertion of a number of rivers, and some polishing of the coastal shelves in the seas.

The labelling will be an entirely separate exercise. I am still on the fence as to whether I should do all of my labelling and notation in photoshop or illustrator. I have all of the labels completed in an illustrator base file, so it would really be a quite simple matter to bring the jpeg in underneath them, but I wonder if I will be able to achieve the same level of richness/subtlety with text and icons as I would in photoshop. Any thoughts from the jury?

_ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Known World - Tea&#.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	22700
    _ben

Default Another Update

So...

I believe this is the fully finished "painting" of the Known World. Rivers have been added, continental shelves drawn in, colours and textures tweaked. I would love any feedback. How can I improve this thing?

On an unrelated note, I recall seeing a thread recently (last couple of weeks) where someone was converting a continent sized hex map to a more realistic style, but today when looking for it, I found nothing. My recollection was that the landforms were pretty cool, and I wanted to look at it again. It seemed like a fully fledged campaign world, not so much a work in progress from the world-building side. Does this ring a bell? Can anyone point me towards a map that meets this description?

Anyhow, here's the current update:

Name:	Known World - Tea&#.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	906.9 KB 
ID:	22755
    _ben

Default Labels added

As a preliminary labelling, I've simply integrated it with my labels from my AI file. I know it deserves better, but to do that I think I'd have to work through photoshop, and I'll need more time for that. Regardless, this one should give you all an idea of what goes where in the known world.

Name:	Known World map m.jpg 
Views:	4562 
Size:	4.74 MB 
ID:	22756

(Please ignore the legend. It is completely out of whack with the current map)
    Last edited by bengaijin; 03-10-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    _ben