Thread: Map of the Planes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Totally dig this as a "schematic" map of the planes. It could indeed be prettied up with some of the iconic elements of the planes but then I think it becomes something else (which is fine too).

I have always liked the way the traditional D&D planes were represented in (most of) the Planescape material (2E) - usually sketchy hand-drawn affairs that gave the feeling that the whole thing was rather vague (because it really was...stuff might be in a different place next time you go).

When I see a map done with 3D elements (or straight lines in general) my mind thinks, "Ah, the cartographer knew something about the subject he/she was mapping: 'This disc is such-and-such radius and sits however-far miles above that other disc.'" I say, if you try to incorporate iconic elements, that you should use the 3D layout as a starting point and go with a more loose, artistic interpretation.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I think this is old school? Forgetting my D&D here but I think "Nexus" is the "Outlands" or some such in 2E? Is there a Sigil in this one?
    M

[edit]Oh, and, repped! Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing a map.[/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 12-07-2009 at 10:59 AM.