Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
I like the way you did the water too.. did you scan that in?
Thanks, I was going for a look like someone just grabbed a pencil and quickly scratched in some lines.

No, I didn't scan it, that was much easier and simpler. It uses one of my favorite tools in GIMP - the ability to use the clipboard as a brush/pencil/airbrush.

All I did was take my pencil on its smallest setting and scratch a few lines (maybe 6). Then I just grab that with the circle select (or square, or lasso - whatever is appropriate). Hit Ctrl-c, then erased the scratches (you could do it in a separate layer or even separate file but I find this is quick and easy). At this point the selection is in the clipboard and appears in my brushes as an option. So I grabbed my airbrush, dropped the opacity to about 75% and fiddled with my scale (these two things vary - you have to play around as always). Then I just sprayed up and down my coastlines (I like to go perpendicular to my clipboard lines with things like this). Finally, toss on a mask at the coast; which, of course, I already had in my channels.

I did about 3 runs at it, fiddling with the scale and opacity, till I got one I liked. Even with the 3 attempts it took less than 5 minutes.

I was pleased with the result.

As for the font, I've been digging through a few thousand downloadable fonts looking for the right one (and picking up some extras). If I find something perfect I will change it up and re submit it. I will fix the hard to read text at the same time.

The tree thing was unintentional - I just messed up and changed my scale. But when it was done I saw the same thing you did - a perspective effect. I liked it so I left it. Just a happy accident.