Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Big WIP Project - Neoseilthir

The ships are meant to be large-ish. The idea is that this map might be in and admiralty house for King Frederick. Hence the examples of foreign boats. The whole thing is supposed to be on a large scale, to be viewed from a distance. But I do get the sneaking feeling I will basically need to hide a bunch of layers, copy visible, rebuild and redraw the land-features again from scratch.

**Edit**
    Yeah I think I will end up doing that... YAY for lots more work... :S
    Last edited by Juggernaut1981; 06-12-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Change of mind on something...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd go with c) eeep
    What about throwing out a lot of the ships and leaving in 2-3 making them larger yet? I don't know about what GIMP and the other freeware progs can do - but in Illustrator I would try to trace them and make the line size bigger ... I'll be happy to try one for you to see if it works
    But the best, and absolute hardest, solution would be to redraw the map with thinner lines to fit the beautiful ships better, resizing a map upwards always makes problems (in pixels - not in vector).
    But looking good and looking forward to see where it goes
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Chose option c) EEEEEP.

Spent yesterday night and some of today (Monday... go public holidays!!) tracing over the ship diagrams that were scaled up to size. Had a computer implosion this afternoon and lost one of the ship tracings *GRRR* but managed to keep most of the updated ones. Updated version attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neoseilthir.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	25864
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

My Lulu Store

Finished the ships. Now to do town after town after town after town... one small building at a time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	52 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	25902  
    Last edited by Juggernaut1981; 06-15-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: **Modify Attached Image**

My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

hmmmm... your map ended up inline instead of attached...and its rather big *lol* ... and it only loaded the top 10% ... ships look more in balance with the rest now, did you edit the wheels too - they don't look as blurry?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

I'm borrowing a trick I saw in a tutorial about creating fake ink-bleed.
    The wheels are copied clipart and on a different layer to the ships and haven't had the ink-bleed treatment, unlike the Cartouche and ships.
    The ships are on their own layers and then duplicated, blurred w/ 3 or 4 px Gaussian, reduced blurred copy to 60% opacity, merge layers.
    Regarding the "in-line" image... it just seems to do that. I'll edit the post.

My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like what you did with with the ships Juggy!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is the latest version. Started on the city markers. I've taken Ramah's awesome icons, cut & pasted between layers, merged, used them as an outline and then attacked them with an "Ink" brush and "Airbrush" to get the look before transferring them into this file, shrinking them and placing them.

Views:	47 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	25932

My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

nice city icons, but the same problem as with the ships arises, especially Aldes look a little thin
    regs tilt

Did some more, noticed the comment about Aldes. It was happening because of image shrinking. To fit the picture as I wanted in the space I wanted I'd have to reduce a much larger image too far. Making the lines thicker at the larger resolution just resulted in lack of defined shape. It's a compromise unfortunately.

Views:	42 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	25958

My Lulu Store

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast