Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Big WIP Project - Neoseilthir

Wip Few more trees here... hill there... the usual...

Added a few trees here, hill there, edited that... the usual

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neoseilthir.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	22035
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Default Heraldric Images Upsized

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    I am stuck with a horrible conundrum regarding the cartouche.
    I love the "heraldry" type images. But the stock images for heraldry I have are all 100px x 100px GIFs...
    So, do I try to scale them up and gently blur them to get rid of the pixelation?
    Do I try to inadequately copy them by hand? (and when I say inadequate I'm saying my drawing failures are as epic as Nero's Fire-Prevention Systems...)
    Do I try scour the net for something that doesn't seem to exist? (A bank of nice usable line-art-style heraldic icons that you can composite into a wide variety of final emblems that are in similar sizes/styles/feel)

So I went for catch-22. Make the cartouche using these stock images, and then "blur it a bit" to try get rid of the ****E-AWFUL pixellated edges.
    I upsized a few of your Gifs and took out a lot of the pixelation, attached is one at about 16x17 cm at 300DPI. And the Antelope you are using. Youv'e lost some detail but at least it's not blurred. Is that helpful?

(edit) In fact, now I look more closely, the lower level of detail is probably more in keeping with the rest of the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHIELD04.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	878.8 KB 
ID:	22044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antelope.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	429.5 KB 
ID:	22045  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 02-12-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks Aval, I'll get into it a bit later and see what I can do.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

My Lulu Store

It's been a big hiatus, and I'll be back and try get more work done on this ASAP.

My Lulu Store

Great to see you back. Looking forward to the update.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Here is the current state of the Map.

Work on this will follow... C&C away people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neoseilthir.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	25292  

My Lulu Store

Guild Novice

I saw your first concept for forests and jumped to the end (so if the concept changed, maybe my comment has no meaning) and i dont know the background of the map (but I assume by the presense of dwarfs and elves its classic medieval fantasy, maybe not) but I think in these kind of map (and these kind of eras) the forests arent scattered or sparse like in the concept... they are more komplex and bigger, especially in the two elven islands but its just my opinion
    either way, its interesting to watch wath will be the final output keep progress

Guild Journeyer

Re heraldic images:
    You can get books of public domain images like this for around 10 dollars. Maybe less if you find a used book. The CDs might not be worth much, but you can scan from the pages.

Re climate:
    I don't know if you are interested in figuring a realistic climate for this world, but for instance that island on the lower left has significant mountains you wouldn't expect a forest inside. The mountains block moist winds off the ocean that carry the rain a forest needs to exist.

Actually, the idea of that forested area is closer to it being like the sub-tropic rainforests (like those found in the Blue Mountains of NSW which are deep inside valleys).

I had a look through most of those and they appear to be "completed crests" rather than "components to make your own crests". I'd be looking for the pieces. I have a large number of low-res GIFs and given time and effort, I may convert them all over yet...

My Lulu Store

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    I had a look through most of those and they appear to be "completed crests" rather than "components to make your own crests". I'd be looking for the pieces. I have a large number of low-res GIFs and given time and effort, I may convert them all over yet...
    You can do as you like, but wouldn't it be easier to take complete crests and separate out the various useful parts rather than try to enhance lo-res parts?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast