Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My first map

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    For anyone who cares, I will say that I use the Burn tool like a fiend to darken and lighten up areas. I used the burn tool on 'dodge' setting to lighten up around the coasts. I probably do things the hard way but so long as I get closer and closer to what I want to see I'm happy.
    Note sure if you know this or not, BUT my normal workflow for things like this is to NOT modify the original layer, but to create a new layer above set to 50% grey (hex 808080) set to overlay mode and then use the burn/dodge tools there. This allows you to keep the original layer intact in case you want to add some colors, etc. This also helps me at least since many times I end up blurring the dodge/burn layer to get the changes in highlights/lowlights to blend more seamlessly and doing the blur on the original layer instead would hose up the image. This is especially important when you open up a png or jpg file and want to add some high/lowlights. If you were to do the whole thing as a single layer, then the blurring would hose your line work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    The other most used tool for me is 'smudge'. It's almost like sculpting you just keep pushing the paint around. I love it.
    My fav tool also....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You just taught me something that will save me a lot of hassle. Thanks for the tip. I remember reading that somewhere but it didn't click until you said it here.

Thanks so much!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ok, I got back to my forests here. I game them a good work over and may have found an interesting method that may develop into something better for next time. We will have to see.

At least now there isn't that pixelation I had before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HK map NewForestTweak.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	19618  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Blog Entries

I like this map. It has a very painterly feel to it which is great. The only thing I didn't like before was your forest but now you've changed it it's thrown up another problem for me and that's your mountains. Even though I really like the style you've used for them they don't tie in with how you've done everything else. You've used iso icons, your forest is viewed from a similar position but your mountains are dead-on top-down. They don't seem to gel with the other elements so to me, either they or your new forest style needs changing.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I love the style of this map, as I stated before.
    Also, I am not as bothered as Ramah with the trees/mountains perspective. I think it still works out, although I agree changing the perspective so they match might make the map better.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yeah, I was asking myself the same thing as I was posting it.

This whole thing was kind of a proof of concept for me and learning the Gimp & Inkscape. While I'm pretty happy with how it turned out I see exactly the same thing.

I may just redo the forest another time and see what happens. I don't think I can really change the mountains and I do like the way they look. (I tried to add trees to them to see if I could tie them in better but they never looked right).

I'll think about this and see what I can come up with.

Ok, here are 2 versions and I'm not sure if either is better Only thing changed is the forest areas.

Name:	HK map NewForestTweak.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	19632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HK map NewForestTweak2.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	19633  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-18-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Much MUCH better on the forests. I like the looks of the one on the left (the more pine-tree-y one) better, but the one on the right seems to complement the mountains better.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Much MUCH better on the forests. I like the looks of the one on the left (the more pine-tree-y one) better, but the one on the right seems to complement the mountains better.
    I think you are right. Individually I like the forest on the left but to go with the mountains I guess the one on the right is better. I still wonder if I could do a "flatter" looking forest if it would look better. I haven't mastered that technique yet.

In my mind I sort of have 3 styles going on in this map which sort of makes it hard to finish. I think I'm done with the mountains because they just took me so much time to get as they are, LOL. I may shelf this project and try a new one at this point to see how I do now that I know a little more about using Gimp. I might actually be able to follow a tutorial now

Thanks for the comments everyone who has helped point things out. Looking forward to next time. Maybe I can even get in on some of the challenges.

Ok, I know it's been 4 months now and I dropped this while I worked on learning more about the digital tools at my disposal. I have learned a bit and even finished a piece or two but in the back of my mind I knew I hadn't finished this one. Probably, because I know this is only a small section of a much bigger map I want to do I feel like I need to put it to rest.

So here it is, I think I'm done unless anyone sees anything glaring that I need to change. I would have just created a finished map but I wanted to get these Kale forests checked out first, LOL, yeah baby, that's Kale!

Oh, I did some mods on the river as well and added the Map legend. Feel free to go nuts but I think I mainly want to archive this one and move on.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	HK area bev rvr..png 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	24055  

Blog Entries

Hmm, well I reckon you have a problem with your shadows on this. The icons show a very definite light source coming from the top right of the map. But I'm struggling to get that on the mountains. The right forest seems to have a soft shadow to it but the left forest doesn't seem to have a shadow in the small area I would expect one. Your river is the biggest offender though, with most of the shadowing on the left side, in view of the light source and giving it a kind of upward bevelled effect that makes it look to me that it is above the land.

I still really like the painted look you have to the map though.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast