Thread: [Award Winner] Cartographical Economics and Demographics - A Guide to Realism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The funny thing about fantasy(and, for this purpose, I include science fiction in this category) cartography, is that you have to know more about the world to pull it off. In the real world the economics and geomorphology kinda... work themselves out. You just map out what is there*. To make a really good map of an imaginary world you really have to build that world.

Fortunately worldbuilding is my major interest, with cartography just 'cause... you know... who else is going to map my world.

Thanks for this resource. I will be checking this out in some depth.

*In theory, anyway. In practice, it can be a real chore to figure out where things actually are sometimes.

Guild Apprentice

I'm VERY excited to give this stuff a read.

I'm in the early stages of my worldbuilding, so this is a perfect time to start thinking about these things.

Right now I've got some basic countries and landmasses, but that's about it.

Sadly, my story is almost completely outlined (and in tons of detail), so now the worldbuilding is holding me back. I've got tons of work ahead of me.

I'm thinking you probably just saved me hours of research though.

I had a skim read through and i must say well done. Repped. *Tried to add rep but need to spread morea round first.

I love things that help you to create the world, in truth the prosess of creating a new world is the only real reason I'm into cartography. I don't think i'll ever get around to writing any stories in the near future.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...