Thread: NUM, the eastern hemisphere

Post NUM, the eastern hemisphere

This is the eastern continent of NUM, which is the setting for my Gervasa game. I was really only interested in the area in the upper left hand corner, but I figured if I was doing it, I may as well do the whole hemisphere.

This took about a week to do, all told. I primarily used techniques described by Ascension is his excellent continent and atlas tutorials, as well as some tips from Revell. I did the ocean differently, because I did not care for the result I got using Ascension's techniques. I am not thrilled with the result I got using my techniques, either (a combination of layer masks, layer filters, filters, lighting effects, and so on), but at some point I had to decide it was as good as it was going to get (I am also not happy with the neon-glow reefs, but have not yet found a technique for edging the continents that I like better).

I did put a river or two on most of the continents, although I am not sure you can see them since this image is 1280x1280, which is 10% of the size of the original (12800x12800, 1 pixel:1 mile), and the rivers were only 1 to 2 pixels wide. I did not put in any volcanoes, since at full 1 pixel:1 mile scale they would only be two or three pixels wide, at most (and that would be a truly epic volcano).

This map is not labeled: I will put labels on the flattened version. I will post a follow-up when I do.

I guess those are all of my thoughts, at the moment. If you have a question about how I did something, I will try to answer, although to be honest I mostly followed the three tutorials I mentioned above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUM_eastern_hemisphere_sm.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	19574  

Post previous version

This is a previous version of the map of that part of the world, at about 1/2 of its original dimensions to save on bandwidth. I have an even older version, but it is in pencil on graph paper, and I do not feel like scanning it just to show other people.

Name:	archaea_sm.jpg 
Views:	1384 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	19578  

Post Archaea

Okay, here is a labeled version of the northeastern portion I was talking about. The attached image is 1/5 the size of the original (well, technically, it's 1/25 the size, since each dimension is 1/5 of the original).

If you would like to see the full size image, you can view it at my web site (warning: at its original size, the image is over 1 MB even when saved as a low-quality JPEG).

Name:	Archaea_sm.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	19593  
    Last edited by bblackmoor; 12-17-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice stuff there.
    And i wouldn't be too worried about the filesize, I'm used to looking at jpg's that come out at 7 megs

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Looks great
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Post Archaea

This is (I think) the more or less final version of the Archaean region of my NUM map. The main difference between this one and the one above is the style of the labels (and that there are more of them).

As before, you can see the full size image at http://www.warlordsofnum.org/index.p...le:Archaea.jpg

Name:	Archaea_sm.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	19662  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking good. The white at the top is looking a bit intense but its probably just me.
    Rainer Weston
    Programmer/Artist
    View my art here

My Maps