Quote Originally Posted by synapticslack View Post
Thanks for all the comments!

You're right, I didn't even realize it. The dark coastlines make it even worse. Would a light color along the coast make it less floaty? Or should I do away with the shading completely?

The dark mountain and coastlines have been bugging me as well. The contrast is just too great i think. Blurring the whole line layer is good idea.

It's awesome how supportive this forum is to new members/mapmakers. Thanks again.
personally, I don't have an issue with the coastline.. I rather like coast lines to have that dark outline feel, but perhaps the shadow on the water could go away.. would have to see both to compare.

As for blurring the entire layer, I would suggest against that If they are both on the same layer. Since the lines for the coast are 2-3 times thicker than that of the mountain outlines, it probably won't end up looked good no matter how much you play with the value of the blur. I would still suggest using the smudge tool on the mountain outlines (and perhaps a few of the conifer tree outlines to get a nice smooth transition in addition to any blur you may do on the layer or by hand, but thats just me...