Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm afraid I won't be able to implement them. I was in the middle of backing up my files (probably shouldn't have stopped midway), and my images have been corrupted as I was working on them today. Luckily, I still have my paper sketch, and wrote down the steps for about the first three-quarters of what I had done, but I don't think I will have anything to put up for a while. I will remember your suggestions and implement them when I redo the map, but I still want to respond to some of them.

Rythal: I love that name link you gave me. The first two posts (and the similar one farther down) strangely seem to be the most helpful to me, and I have copied the templates down and will refer to them when I decide to do my names. I agree with you - those mountains were rather white. I had added a transparent layer over them to give them more color, and it turned out well.

rdanhenry: I want the scale to be rather elastic (I don't write well to certain distances), but it was intended to be a large island - not quite a continent. I found that curved roads looked better than straight ones, but I had straightened them out somewhat and used RobA's fractalize path script to get them looking really good when GIMP crashed. At least I learned something from this: either import the paths in small chunks (I used Inkscape to tweak them), or back up the map before importing them.