Thread: Style Test

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maybe add some icons into the region. A good smattering of tree icons (without trying to tile the area) will give the idea that the coloured region is a forest... You can then use similar techniques for swamps, jungles, etc
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I really like how the forests are done, and the whole piece is very crisp and streamlined. The only thing that doesn't really fit - at least to my eye - are the parallel lines adjacent to the coast. Maybe it would look better with some noise, or randomized somehow.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Here's a little bit bigger sample. Fixed the feathering effect on the ocean woodcut, and added an overlay crumpled paper pattern (which, now that I look at it again, makes things look too cluttered).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StyleTest2a.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	19599  

Blog Entries

I really like this style, Diamond. Very clean and very clear. I like the forests as they are and don't think you need to do anything to them.

Great stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I think the temptation is to over-work things, especially the forest. As it is now, the forests have just enough detail with that light pattern on 'em so that they're defined, but don't overwhelm everything else. I wanted the mountains to be just a bit bolder than other natural features, seeing as they're the spines of the land, and I think that turned out okay.

I think the only other thing I want to do is come up with some simple swamp and desert icons; probably just very small two- or three-pen stroke symbols.

Then it's off to the races!