Thread: Large overland map [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majortopio View Post
    I took some of your advice and recolored the symbols - and granted, it does fit it more. I just think it's harder to distinguish the grasslands. I'm still lacking an efficient way of showing those - should I just remove the symbols and have just plain land signifying grasslands and plains, perhaps? Let the labels do the work, you know.
    I think that looks awesome.

I do think there's such a thing as having too many symbols; maybe it would work just fine to have no symbols on the plains and as you say let the text do its job.

Here is the updated map, now with rivers. I suck at making them though, and probably have dozens of violations. If you spot any, please point them out! Thanks
    Ouch. Yeah... mondo river violations. Many many. The one that really stands out is that lake in the south/southwest where a river goes in from the east and leaves in the west, but before it goes into the lake, it SPLITS INTO ANOTHER RIVER that loops around south of the lake and then rejoins the main river!!

Haha yeah, I wanted some sort of isolated city there. Guess that's not happening

Okay, so I read that thread, and fixed my rivers from the information I managed to glean from it. I removed all of the splits that I found, made sure that only one river flows out from the lakes, and started them all in high places leading downwards. Please point out if I missed anything, or misunderstood everything

I also fixed up some of the symbols (the forests and foothills) to make them smaller, so they fit in more with the massive scale I was going for. Looks a lot cleaner to me, what do you all think? Does the continent look awesomely massive? (I was thinking that maybe 1cm = a few hundred KM, haven't quite decided yet. Still need suggestions there.)

Added a few forests and mountains as well, going more into details this time.

CC is still appreciated!

EDIT: Oops, uploaded version with labels, lol. Just ignore them, they're placeholders/english versions of the names I plan to have for the various areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anotherone copy.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	19552  
    Last edited by Majortopio; 12-16-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Link

There is also a tutorial thread on river creation (which I looked up 'cause the thread posted above seemed to just be full of "OMG you river heretic!!!" comments) - http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822