Thread: Greetings!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Greetings!

Hello there!
    I just found this site, and I don't really have any work to show yet. I've been hand-drawing maps for years (I thought I was the only one!) but I don't have much experience at drawing them on computer.

I don't just create maps; I try to do all aspects of world-building: creating people, cultures, languages, etc. I have a fantasy world that I've created named Esseronas, which I have dozens of maps for, but I haven't ever managed to map it fully to my liking. I have mapped a few of the continents with a fairly decent level of detail, but the rest of it is still incomplete. What I'd really like to do is have a world map that I can zoom into (if not smoothly, having at least 4 zoom-levels), with more detail becoming evident as you get closer.

Like I said, I'm (almost) a total n00b when it comes to software-aided drawing, so any advice or recommendations for a program that would meet my needs would be most appreciated. I should mention that I'm using a rather old (circa 2001) laptop running Windows XP. If anyone has a free program that they'd recommend, I'd like to hear about it.

I hope to soon be sharing some work and reading some critiques!
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 12-15-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: additional info