Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: WIP - The city of Ankh-Bathor

Looks greit.. But just imagine what would happen if a big wave hit this city. No defences at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marken4 View Post
    Looks greit.. But just imagine what would happen if a big wave hit this city. No defences at all.
    Actually it would be very hard for a big wave to hit this side of the city. If you look at the attached map you can see that the eastern side of the city is well protected by some islands just outside its coast. On the western side of the city you have some more elevation that hopefully gives some protection...but you never know :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankh-Bathor overview.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	30800  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    The reason I'm using B&W is that I intend to add some custom made graphics, like temples and theaters. And I think it will be more easy to do in the B&W version. Secondly I'm planing some heavy photoshoping in the map after I'm done in CD3. Mostly effects on water and terrain etc. We see where it will end up.
    Ah, I was hoping you were planning to do something like that. Can't wait for the final version, but there's still much to do I guess
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

That's a really big city, I applaud you in your patient in creating that. Bravo!

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Ah, I was hoping you were planning to do something like that. Can't wait for the final version, but there's still much to do I guess
    Much to do is an understatement :-) I'm almost done on the east coast when it comes to denser areas. But there is some more things to add in in the surrounding areas. Then I have to start mapping the west coast, which is about as big as the part I'm nearly finished with. So I guess I have nearly 75% left to do before this is finished, but I can reuse some of the things already made which might speed up things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    That's a really big city, I applaud you in your patient in creating that. Bravo!

-D-
    My finished maps

You may want to take a look at the City of Tallon by Keith Curtis at http://www.savageearth.net/tallon-mapped.html. He developed some type of fill brush pattern in photoshop that made building up the inhabited parts of the city much easier (although the built up area of Tallon is rather blurred now, an earlier draft had a more distinct look to the buildings, with individual buildings standing out). Regardless, Ankh-Bathor looks great, keep up the hard work.

Coming on nicely. The building on the centre island is way out of scale in my opinion, though. And a few others as well. If you want a truly enormous building, try to make it from several elements.

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    You may want to take a look at the City of Tallon by Keith Curtis at http://www.savageearth.net/tallon-mapped.html. He developed some type of fill brush pattern in photoshop that made building up the inhabited parts of the city much easier (although the built up area of Tallon is rather blurred now, an earlier draft had a more distinct look to the buildings, with individual buildings standing out). Regardless, Ankh-Bathor looks great, keep up the hard work.
    Thanks for the link. That is really a beautiful map. However I'm making my map in City Designer 3, so you have to plot out all the houses. But luckily enough there are some shortcuts in the program you can use that will place the houses for you. Ususally you have to edit it abit afterwards, otherwise a lot of houses will end up on top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fransie View Post
    Coming on nicely. The building on the centre island is way out of scale in my opinion, though. And a few others as well. If you want a truly enormous building, try to make it from several elements.
    Thanks for the comment. The out of scale buildings will be replaced later on with my own graphics. So they are just placeholder for me, so I remember where they are suposed to be :-).
    My finished maps

I guess a lot of you thought that I had abandoned this monster of a map.....nothing could be more wrong :-) Sometimes you just need a bit of a break from it to keep your sanity. But I thought I should post up a wip where I am at the moment. The eastern side of the city is nearing completion (if you only talk about houses). On the western side there is still a lot to do.
    If you see something that looks completely out of the ordinary please tell me now so I can change it, before it is to late.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankh-Bathor_3_5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	35985  
    My finished maps

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast