Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1-day experiment

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ready to call this one done. It has served its purpose of helping me learn more and I think it looks pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4a.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	19659  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Since that was so successful, not, I went back in and added forest texture, mountain texture, and made some color tweaks. The previous one was a bit more garish than Aalder and this newer one is a bit darker than Elosha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lessonde2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	19674  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like both of them, for different reasons. The first one, you say it's more garish, but I like the more painted look it gives, maybe if you just took the saturation down a tad? The second one gives a better feel with the textures for sure. But really, which one would I prefer? Both, to be honest.

Question, do you have the Eyecandy/Xenofex filter by any chance? I took a break from things and was thinking over the way you say you're trying to get that handpainted look in there, and some of the filters you mentioned. I took my Zoeland map on a quick trip through the Shower Door filter, and I think it makes a great starting point for that impressionist look. I may work on this idea in between other projects over the next while.
    Of course, I've also occasionally been looking at just painting a map up bit by bit, no filters or layers. I've tried a few times, but things tend to look like crap after I get the shorelines drawn in. So far I give up after about 10 mins

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Yeah, I have the same problem...computerized brushes and a tablet just don't give the same feel and texture that a real build-up of paint does. I could do a real painted map but I haven't done painting on canvas since college (just painting on glass for my job). I'll check out that shower door thing, I have it but I try to only use the basic filters in hopes of tutorializing things. I tried the baked earth and swirl but couldn't get anything decent.

Edit: just tried that shower door and the settings of fuzzed out and nearsighted look pretty good.
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-20-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I prefer the more 'muted' look of the last one you uploaded.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I like them both. I prefer the vibrancy and overall look of the first one, but like your earlier Elosha I cannot tell where the forests are and also, for some reason, the rivers seem to get lost more in it.
    The second one while being more successful, I feel, as a working map, loses a little character. I think I prefer your more painterly mountains in the first one.
    But meh, I still love them both. Great stuff as usual.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12