Thread: Torentine: "Satellite" Collage Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Torentine: "Satellite" Collage Map

Obsessive compulsive disorder wins out and I decided I would have to go a different route to get the results I wanted. I feel kind of like god making this map... hmmm.. let's move these mountains over here.. and how about a valley over here.... Probably lots of impossible geological juxtaposing going on but that's ok.

This is one days worth of work... i work at twice this resolution so i can get a nice crisp effect when i reduce it. Much of the background is lain in (maybe) tentatively so i can get a feel for the type of environment i will be adding the detail to... then I after that I started with the central mountain range and plan to work downward in elevation by region. I will be developing each region to how i envision it and lastly will be the coast and the ocean then color touch ups.

Large rivers urban areas etc. will have to be edited out and then back into where they belong. The ghosted image of my rivers is just an overlay so i can build the landscape in a logical manner. I scaled the "true color" satellite images that i pulled from NASA to the correct scale (within reason) so they would look "right". If you look closely you'll see some repetition in the mountains as they are mostly of the alps and some carpathian mts.. I will try to edit that out minor stuff as much as possible near the end. As you can see in the attached picture of northern italy, the alps really aren't that big so i had to do lots of copy paste, flip and masking ... plus i used different pictures.. some more snowy than others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOPO_LARGE_FORMAT.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	19646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alps.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	448.5 KB 
ID:	19647  
    Last edited by a2area; 12-18-2009 at 05:47 PM.