Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Antique Style World Map

Not to jack your thread, but 15 years ago when I started my business I took on whatever came into the door. The first time some elderly person came in with a damaged old family photo - I scanned it and photoshopped to look whole again, then inkjet printed it out. Word spread. Now I get work (rarely) from museums in Joliet, IL (50 miles from me), a railroad museum, all the historical societies in five counties, all the geneaological (sp?) societies, many private collections. So yeah, sometimes I get to play with some really cool (historic) stuff.

Sorry for the interruption, go on Moutarde continue to rock with this map!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

First map, plus massive enormous project, plus perfectionism, equals BAD. Well maybe just bad instead of BAD Over the last couple days, as I've been working on some of the stuff that I did right when I first started this whole thing, I've been fighting urges to scrap that old crap and redo it nicely For example, I drew the landmasses and warped them into stereographic projections, but then drew rivers and mountain ranges and borders on afterwards, so they don't quite seem to stretch just the right way near the extremes of the map. And the mercator projection has neither mountains or rivers or borders on it, which means I need to copy them from a stereographic projection and somehow transform them from there into a properly sized mercatorial version. Bleh. At least the text in the filler areas is still progressing nicely, though there's still a massive wad of it to go.

/rant off.

K. On a side note, I still need to come up with somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 more constellations to draw, so any suggestions for those would be most welcome. Here's my list of constellations thus far:

Dragon
    Behemoth
    Lammasu
    Hippocamp
    Golem
    Warrior
    Centaur
    Leviathan
    Phoenix
    Minotaur
    Ziz
    Mermaid

Hawk
    Bear
    Dog
    Horse
    Lion
    Elephant
    Whale
    Fish
    Crab
    Rabbit
    Bull
    Squirrel
    Mythological Character
    Mythological Character
    Mythological Character
    Mythological Character
    Mythological Character
    Mythological Character
    Mythological Character
    Crown
    Ship
    Cup
    Shield
    Arrow
    Altar
    Cross
    Harp
    Cobra
    Unicorn
    Alligator
    Frog
    Monkey
    Spider
    Cyclops
    Nymph
    Kraken

The first twelve are the signs of the zodiac, and the rest is basically just a bunch of random crap borrowed from real constellations and classical mythology.

Well, I couldn't help myself. I've decided to re-draw the mountains, rivers and political borders. Yay! So, just for fun, I figured I would post my crappy reference sketch, so y'all can see how awful I can make something look before I start to make it look nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	21982  

Your map is looking great!!! I wish I had your talent!!
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a good planning map and a good idea for making things how you want them. I tend to just make it up as I go instead of planning it out. I do my rivers and roads and nations like that, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Davros01 View Post
    Your map is looking great!!! I wish I had your talent!!
    Thanks Davros, though I'm more of the opinion that my map is taking more patience (and trial and error!) than talent so far. But it's still really great to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That's a good planning map and a good idea for making things how you want them. I tend to just make it up as I go instead of planning it out. I do my rivers and roads and nations like that, though.
    Yeah, I figured that in addition to drawing everything on the eastern hemisphere, and then drawing EVERYTHING all over again on the mercatorial projection, I could just plug this image into Hugin and do the transformations on it, and then just trace everything out on each of the different projection, and have them all looking appropriately warped as well. Though by doing the western hemisphere over again, I'm probably losing all the time I'll save anyways Oh well, it'll look better in the end for it...

Guild Novice

I've always loved these style of maps, I was wondering how long it'd take me to stumble upon the thread of someone mad enough to try one. It didn't take long and it didn't disappoint, it's an inspiration already and I can't wait to see the finished article.

Haha, yeah you could certainly call me mad I've been working at somewhat slowly, but steadily, and I've almost finished re-drawing all the physical and political aspects of the landmasses. I don't think I can put off those constellations much longer either. I expect to have about 12 hours at work tomorrow with nothing to do, so hopefully I'll be able to put in a monster naming session and possibly finish the main maps! But no promises, I'm lazy

Well, here is the almost completely re-drawn western hemisphere! Yay!

"But Moutarde!" you might say. "That looks exactly the same as the last one!"

Not so! The differences are subtle, but it looks much better than the original one I posted so many years (-weeks-) ago.

Eastern hemisphere to come tomorrow morning probably.

Name:	Antique Style West Hem.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	22150  

As promised, here's the eastern hemisphere.

Name:	Antique Style East Hem.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	22174  

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast