Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Antique Style World Map

Wip

This is more of a teaser than an update I suppose. Names are coming slowly but surely. And yes, the smallest font I've used is quite small. Barely legible when printed out. Oh well. If those places were important, they'd have gotten a bigger font!

This area of the world is loosely based on Italy at the end of the 18th century, before that Napolean guy got it into his head to create the kingdom of Etruria.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teaser.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	19881  

Silly Napoleon! What on earth was he thinking, anyway? xD

Looks great so far! I just love the whole idea of this, and as annoying as I find really tiny text on paper, its fine on the computer screen. xD

Wip

First attempt at the map of the surface of the moon. Would love to hear some comments and/or suggestions, as I'm still not really sold on what I've done so far. Keep in mind I would still need to add some craters to this, and that I'm trying to emulate the selenograph from the map that I linked in the first post.

Fire away!

Name:	antique style moon map.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	19950  
    Last edited by moutarde; 01-02-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Is this supposed to be our moon or "a moon"?

Because astro-physically speaking... our moon is a serious oddball.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

The idea is to make it a moon that's very similar to the Earth's moon. Basically what I've done is created a couple layers of parallel lines and a layer with the image of a random moon I made, and then just cut chunks out of the various layers of parallel lines with a color range selection from the original image of the moon.

I'm only kind of happy with how the image I posted here looks, I feel like it's missing something, but I'm not really sure what...

Well our moon, unlike a lot of moons in general, has been colliding with asteroids on a regular basis for a LONG period of time. So most of its features are effectively circular, the only variation being based on which circles get layered over each other (the new asteroid strikes rub out the older ones). So you won't get as many of the "continent shapes" that earth has.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I've actually started a new thread over in the scifi section of the forum, and have received a lot of good tips on mapping a moon with a lot more craters in it. I still havn't had a chance to put any of that into practice yet, but I'm hoping to a much better looking moon within the next week or so

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I think you have a fantastic project here and you have done some great work. The only thing I am not crazy about is how the map distorts colse tot he North and South poles. Thats just my opinion though and I think it still looks great regardless!

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of it either, but my goal is to create a map that could have honestly been drawn and seen widespread use in 1800. Granted, the world I'm drawing isn't Earth, but it's very heavily influenced by it, and the Lambert azimuthal projection was created around 1775 or so, which I think is probably too close to 1800...

As far as the distortion goes though, just wait till I post the eastern hemisphere - it's much for severe for that half of the world...

Wip

Yeah, I've been lazy lately Tired of naming, frustrated with the moon, scared to start drawing rivers and mountains in the second hemisphere, daunted by drawing constellation maps and too lazy to learn the math to create realistic values for the other planets in the solar system!

Anyways, here's a look at the entire map as it currently stands, rather than the smaller bits I've been uploading recently.

Name:	antique world map stereographic.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	20210  

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast