Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Antique Style World Map

An Aſtronomical Latitude and Longitude Analemma!

Fun for the whole family!

I think I might finally tackle the constellation maps next.... Hopefully trying to draw pictures of fantastic creatures doesn't break me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique style analemma.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	21668  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What you're doing here is far beyond me so with that in mind - I think it's a bit weird to have upside-down numbers. It might be the way this thing is supposed to be and if so then so be it. I don't know much about it, shrug. It still looks good and that funky old time S in your text up there is wicked cool. Keep up the nice work, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You know, when I put those numbers in upside-down, I didn't really like them, but I figured I'd sit on em like that for a bit, see if I still didn't like them at the end... Then completely forgot all about them until you mentioned them! And I still don't like them I'm going to be changing them all to the same orientation, including the 90's.

Thanks Ascension
    Last edited by moutarde; 01-31-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammarz is good!

Update! Can't let my own thread fall off the first page now, can I?

Thought I'd post the upper left corner of the map, as it's actually getting close to being complete up there! That's at least..... 1/12th of the whole map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	getting there.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	21740  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Holycrap, that is gonna be gorgeous when it's done. I am so totally jealous of this map, i wish I would have thought of all that.

Dang.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Geez, finally took the time to fully go through this thread. Didn't expect this! At first I was kind of confused as to what your purpuse was with this map, and what it should represent. When I discovered that, my jaw dropped. What an enormous project! I'll be staying tuned to this in the future, can't wait to see the result!
    Doodle it.

Thanks for the praise I realized that I my updates for the last little while had just been bits of the extra stuff that fills the area around the actual maps. It feels really good to actually see it starting to come together as a whole.

Wow, my eye balls are salivating! But shame on you moutarde for not posting the entire map, now you've left me in a state of discontented suspense! Guess I'll just have to stay tuned...I hate waiting.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Sometimes I wish I was doing this map with Vectorworks instead of Photoshop That way I could rotate a line 0.9863 degrees, and it wouldn't just round it off and rotate it 1 degree... And yes, that's a very important distinction when you're trying to fit 365 little lines onto 360 degrees of circle

Arsheesh, next time I post an update, I'll post everything I have, scaled down to a size that the forum will accept

Ha! Ha haha!

So I drew a curve, and put text on it. 31 capital 'I' in Arial, then adjusted the spacing on the font to make the 31 marks fit into 30 degrees! Bwahahahaha!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast