Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Antique Style World Map

Now that's what I'm talking about! This is a masterpiece in the making Moutarde, it's going to turn out to be one of those maps that others look to for inspiration. Consider yourself repped and rated.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Careful, or all this praise is gonna go to my head!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The challenge is living up to our expectations now.

Less posting more mapping!! (like I'm one to talk.. i keep taking breaks from shading my mountain ranges. it's hard on the hands!)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Blimey this is looking good. Let it go to your head - you deserve it.

I'm going to sneak in a little rep just to keep you going...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I'm going to sneak in a little rep just to keep you going...
    Hee hee that's what I just did...

That is looking great, there is a typo on the curved text, discoveries is spelled wrong.
    Amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    That is looking great, there is a typo on the curved text, discoveries is spelled wrong.
    Amazing work.
    Actually, it's supposed to be spelled Diſcoveries. The long s ( ſ ) was falling out of favour at the beginning of the 19th century, but was still used very commonly. The long s was used in place of the short s in words when it was in an initial or medial position, but never used when the s was in a final position. In the cases of 'ss' the first s was actually a long s, and in cases where an f was adjacent to the s, short was always used.

Thanks though!

Default An example to help explain

Just to help explain what Moutarde means, I have a sample from the only old document I have handy.

Not trying to go religious on anybody, this is the oldest document I've ever worked on in my daytime graphics shop. This was a single page from an actual King James Bible, dated 1613 - its a true second edition printed page. Anyway, look at the text in the sample's center, notice the words with two S's, (like Moses) and notice the first "S" looks like an "f". The same convention is done to the ornate font in the body of the scripture.

(As an aside, not referring to Moutarde's map, but notice the latin "U" looks like a "V", and the "V" as a "U".)

After finishing the job I saved the file for myself, this is an exerpt from it - pretty cool!

I hope people now understand, the use of Moutarde's spelling convention.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1613.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	21803  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ooh.

Besides getting historical jealousy (i would have loved to work on that!), I'm getting some interesting ideas on how to make spellings and such more antique feeling to go along with the graphics for my antique replica type maps
    Thanks!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks for the example Gamerprinter. You seem to get to play with all kinds of cool things through your business

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast