Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attempting a new(ish) style

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locution View Post
    Once the labels are added it will become more obvious where the city icons are located.
    True...

And really when you get right down to it, YOU have to be happy with it, not just us.

I think it works well. the trees, mountains, and cities work well with the map style. The key I think will be the labeling. In my view the labeling makes the map. In your case, it will help differentiate between mountains, trees, rivers, and cities.

looking good,
    Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Ok so I have adjusted the tree size (thanks Rav, that makes a big difference) and now I am struggling on a font for the labelling. I have gone through a few hundred and can no longer think of what would look best. Any suggestions?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locution View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Depends. What kind of setting is it? If it's standard-ish medieval Europe, you could use a semi-ornate gothic font, or there's one on www.dafont.com called 'Home Remedy' that would look awesome.

As this is just a trial map there is no "setting" exactly but I was thinking a "cradle of civilization" sort of feel meaning the mediterranean area. Home remedy is definatley a cool font and I grabbed it for future use but I'm not sure it suits this particular theme. Fonts are a tough thing to ask advice on because they are so personal but I am still open to suggestions.

This is what I have come up with. I am calling it finished but there may be a few tweaks necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trial.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	20003  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I hate to say it but the fantastic graphics overwhelm the map itself. I might try to put some more detail in the map to balance it out (continuity of line complexity, ie the elaborate crosshatching and detail in the graphics compared to the simple lines of the map) or maybe reduce the size of the graphics. Overall it looks sweet but out of balance.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very nice, have some rep. I do agree with Ascension on the side graphics, they're great but they do steal some of the focus, also because they're alot darker and therefore more noticeable than the lighter map.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

To be honest I agree whole heartedly with you both, and in truth I sort of threw it together while I had a chance (just brought my new son home from the hospital). I fully intended to put some more work into it and will do so now. Thanks for the input though now I know where I need to start.

My intent was to emulate a map of Scotland I have hanging on my wall that has the same sort of images on either side of the map but I see now I have failed to do so properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast