Thread: WIP: Old Style Continent Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Those mountains look fantastic, but like Diamond said, they don't really work with the rest of the map. It's unfortunate, because I really do think they look great

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You'll find mountains similar to that on the Dragon Age map of Thedas...kinda sorta. The style is shaded relief. You might want to look at the mountain and hills brushes by Ramah and do those in the hand-drawn style...I think they were compiled and uploaded by Vhailor. You could also just go with simple triangles that don't have the bottoms on them...more like an arrowhead I guess, like what Moutarde is doing with his.
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-27-2009 at 12:24 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

looking good so far. I only have 2 comments that hopefully may be helpful. On the top right of the map is a river system, that looks like an elongated 8. its kind of bizarre looking to me. 2nd point is about the mountains. I like to look at old maps, and yours is spot on except for the mountains. Usually during the era your map is sort of pointing to used simple mountain symbols. Look at some of the early mercatur maps. they may give you some ideas.

gl,
    Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davros01 View Post
    On the top right of the map is a river system, that looks like an elongated 8. its kind of bizarre looking to me.
    I think that's a couple of lakes. See how the outline is thicker there?

ah, good catch, i didn't notice. It still just looks odd. An almost straight line, with lakes elongated into that straight line.

However thats just a personal observation.

The map looks great!
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.