Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Lykarnia - Big Iron Vault Commission

Blog Entries

Ok, I guess enough time has passed since my last update here to warrant another one. I'm really hoping to get this map done this weekend - I'm certainly on the home stretch with just a few more things to add and a few adjustments to be made. The last big(ish) task I've left myself was the farmlands and an area of the map called The Marches which is a clump of farming villages that stretches from the capital to outlying lands.
    I thought I had a look pinned down a few nights ago but as I worked on it some more I began to realise that it was drawing the eye too much and was too colourful. I don't think I can avoid drawing the eye to this area actually, the fact that it requires enough villages to show that it is a dense farming area is unlike any other part of the map where cities are few and far between. In an effort to make the fields blend in more I decided to try taking colour away instead of adding it in order to achieve my goal. And here is the result.
    It's not perfect and I plan to do more work on this area but I'm hoping this is the general look it will have in the end. Forget the labels btw, I'm still working on colours and positioning.

Any opinions on it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lykarnia 11 snaps&.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	23591  
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I could never get that soft focus feel (like in film) that really adds the magic like this. Good stuff, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Gotta agree, that's lookiin' mighty purty!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ramah, this is just astounding, that's really I can say. As far as that section of farmland drawing the eye because its so densely populated by symbols/text/etc... is there a way to balance it by putting compass or a piece of artwork or something on the map opposite of where that farmland is (vertically, horizontally, or diagonally), to help balance it out visually?

Quote Originally Posted by BigIronVault View Post
    If there's enough interest here, I'm willing to post a section from our new RPG (for free of course) that details each and every region of the world for personal use in your RPG campaigns.
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    As far as that section of farmland drawing the eye because its so densely populated by symbols/text/etc... is there a way to balance it by putting compass or a piece of artwork or something on the map opposite of where that farmland is (vertically, horizontally, or diagonally), to help balance it out visually?
    Hmmm, something like that could indeed work except that piece of farmland is dead central to the map. I don't know if Keith plans on adding a compass or a cartouche or some artwork anyway. It wasn't part of the commission to do those extra bits (in fact, neither were the cities ) so I'm hoping that if BIV adds those things they'll get their internal illustrator to whip up something really cool looking. His work is amazing.
    I don't think it's too much of a problem anyhoos.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

@ Ramah --- Indeed - the cities were not part of the commission but let's just say that I've been thinking of ways to throw in a bonus!

@ everyone --- does anyone have an idea on how I can share this map electronically to people that have purchased a copy of the game? It is cost prohibitive for us to have a map insert in our books at this time.
    Big Iron Vault publisher of magazines, role-playing games and slayer of the wicked! www.bigironvault.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigIronVault View Post
    @ everyone --- does anyone have an idea on how I can share this map electronically to people that have purchased a copy of the game? It is cost prohibitive for us to have a map insert in our books at this time.
    Maybe is not extremely professional, but what about dropbox?

But if there are many customers I wouldn't advice that. The only true advantage is that none apart from the customers you've chosen would be able to access the file, because you will have to select them one by one. And to get access to the file your customers will have to create a dropbox account. Well, I'm sure someone else will end up with something better than this ^^.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You would probably need some sort of code thing like video games use when registering. One code = one map. Put the code on a sticker then put that on the game and then they can go to the website and put in their code and get a nice map that they can print themselves.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

This will be the last update before the final image is posted in the finished maps section. Tomorrow.
    I wasn't planning on posting another update but as the map now won't be finished until tomorrow I decided to post one more image showing what I've been working on tonight.

This image shows the city of Hamerfall, a not very nice city in the snowy wastes of Hammerlund.

Not a lot to do to the map now at all. I plan to add a few small forest areas dotted around the map for a little flavour and a cartouche. Other than that, cocked, locked and ready to rock.

Seeya tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lykarnia 13 snaps&.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	561.6 KB 
ID:	23708  

Blog Entries

Final version (hopefully) up in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?9985-Lykarnia in the finished maps forum.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678