Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough Sketch Coastal w/ Large Island(s)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    There you go! Korash is your man!!!
    Your help would still be helpful, though not in the form of a map if you don't want.

Thanks

Mark

Nah, I'm just into the maps!
    So, no words of wisdom to help me create the map that I want?

Mark

Sorry, not really. It sounds to me that what you're after is not a map but someone to collaborate with you in making your stories which include maps. It would be unfair to you if I agreed to do this and didn't follow through - which is almost certainly what would happen. I like simple projects which complete in shortish timescales. I really don't have the time (particularly with my gnatlike attention span - Look there's something shiny!) to go in for the long collaborative projects, unless they really, really, really grab me.

:: edit :: Sorry, typed at speed, let me clarify: I would be happy to do a 'one off' map for you with stuff in to pique your inspiration, but what I don't have time for is to get involved in the project for the long haul. Happy also to post up the .psd file here so others can take it on and continue to edit it as they wish. If you'd like to make the map, then all I can suggest is that you browse through the tutorials (the quickstart sticky is a good place to begin) and see which ones grab you.

Sorry, not really. It sounds to me that what you're after is not a map but someone to collaborate with you in making your stories which include maps.
    I don't believe that is what I am asking. Collaborate with me on the first map, and I can do all the following.

If you'd like to make the map, then all I can suggest is that you browse through the tutorials (the quickstart sticky is a good place to begin) and see which ones grab you.
    I have an attention span such as yours. Reading through bunches of tutorials will not help me. It will encourage me to give up. I've done that on other difficult tasks, and since I have other hobbies, I would just go to one of those.

However, if you or someone else has a particular tutorial in mind that would answer all my questions, then feel free to point me in the exact direction.

Or, if someone has a few minutes, we can chat about my questions. Either way.

Thanks

Well, deciding where you want to put features (like forests, rivers, mountains etc) is more worldbuilding than map making, although the two are related. You might want to do a site search on worldbuilding, there is a good guide which is available free online which tells you where to put mountains, rivers etc, I can't recall it but it may be worth a google or someone else here may remember. Have a look in the mapping references subforum too on worldbuilding.

I really can't think of a tutorial that will help you with your map if all you want is a basic sketch - most of the tutorials are geared towards making something more advanced than that. It may be that if you want a sketch the best way to do it is with an HB pencil and paper.

Hope this helps!

Well, deciding where you want to put features (like forests, rivers, mountains etc) is more worldbuilding than map making, although the two are related. You might want to do a site search on worldbuilding, there is a good guide which is available free online which tells you where to put mountains, rivers etc, I can't recall it but it may be worth a google or someone else here may remember.
    I don't know if this is the one you are talking about, but it is a good general resource.

http://www.web-writer.net/fantasy/days/index.html

And, there is a video on YouTube which is kinda helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z00S7WsYGA

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12