Thread: How to remove a color from a flattened JPEG and preserve what is below?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When the pixels get this light it's very hard (impossible) to automatically adjust them to match the surrounding pixels.

The right tool for this particular image seems to be the patch-tool in photoshop. See below for a quick example. I don't know if there's a similar tool in Gimp.

Also, if the map looks ok in the PDF you can simply zoom in and use the "prn scr" button to get a screen dump.

Note:
    If you want to extract images from a PDF you should preferably use Illustrator or Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment_fix.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	20155  

Wow, Carnifex, that looks great!

I'm not familiar with PS so I don't know what the "patch tool" does and therefore can't determine if there's a similar tool for GIMP.

The white border is too close to the real "meat" of the image, which is why I want to remove the border. But I'm thinking I may just use the clone tool and copy other parts of the image on top of the border and be done with it.

I've been using Acrobat Reader 8 (since 9 won't allow me to select images separate from the text overlayed on top of the image by the PDF). A screen capture is possible since I've now determined how to set the resolution of the capture (a Preference setting in Reader). I have an old copy of Acrobat Pro but it's v6; I've been meaning to update but haven't really seen the need.

The game session that I want to use this map for is this Tuesday night (Jan 12th) so I probably won't have time to play with this; I plan to just display the map with the (ugly) white border and leave it at that. But this kind of thing comes up pretty often so I do plan to play with it a bit and see what I can make work.

Thanks for the input, folks. It's been very helpful to hear your ideas.