Thread: Some hand-drawn maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone questions!
    No worries. I'm nothing if not long-winded. (As the CBG crowd can ruefully attest.)

Thanks for teaching me about light boxes. I was going to say I feel "enlightened," but then I realized it was a pretty awful pun. So I'll just say I feel more educated than I did this morning.

Hey, LC: Love the maps! Hand-drawn is my favorite!!

Not sure what your eventual outcome for these is, but there is plenty you could do to touch them up in your computer app (such as adding colors, effects, etc.). But since I really like this style of cartography, I'd say most of that is just "play." Great post.

PS: Yes, I use a Wacom. It's a small one, but is sweeeeeeet. $99 at Best Buy. Worth every penny.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Pyrandon,
    You probably use the same one I use, the Graphire4? I got one for Christmas last year and it has saved me so many headaches.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Tablet is definately the way to go, and the Graphire 6x8 is very affordable and will do for most anything you want to do with it as far as mapping. The intuos line is focused more on the digital painter with angle recognition and extra sensitivity which you aren't likely to notice anyways.

My maps are all done on my tablet in photoshop, but really the tablet plays very little part in getting the stylistic looks I've acheived. Layer effects do most of the heavy lifting for me once I've played with them enough.

I do like the look of this map, I like the hand-made look which is why I've been working to give mine at least the illusion of that quality. There are definately a few things I'm going to take from seeing this and incorperate it into my own style.

Jolly good.

I'll agree with them - the Graphire is the best for the price. I am using an older Graphire3 6x8.

Oddly enough, I only use the tablet as a tablet when working in a bitmap/paint program (for the most part). When using Inkscape (a vector program) I tend to switch back to a mouse as I find it gives me more control when adjusting nodes and handles. (I do use it in Inkscape when freehand sketching or using the calligraphy tool, however)

-Rob (carpel tunnel no more) A>

P.S. sorry for the tablet threadjack...