Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Forester

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If I replaced it with my own brushes, I would *totally* use that at this point. Dunno about others, but I'd be ready to start using it as of now *oh yes, rep worthy*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

That isn't hard to do, as long as you stick to certain naming conventions, although at the moment the shading layer would be a problem as it is set to use multiple shade brushes for every tree. So unless your tree outlines were very similar in shape and size it would look pretty bad. It's on my todo list of little things to fix before I sign off on this but I'm still unsure as the best way to go about it, naming-conventionwise. I want to keep the ability to have multiple shade brushes per tree, but then when you add in multiple trees the naming gets more awkward. I guess Shade1_1, Shade1_2 etc. like I suggested several pages pack is the way to go.
    Of course, you don't need to use the shading layer if you don't want to.
    I also need to make a small addition so that brush sets can be changed on the fly. It can already do it except I haven't added the option to the UI yet.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I do recall the swapping of files with different brushes and naming conventions, wouldn't be too bad to put in that work for me. The shading i'm not as worried about, but I wouldn't mind putting forth the extra effort to create that as well.

I'll still wait till you're done, it just occurred to me that it would be perfect for the project I'm currently doing

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Ok, so I'm testing the latest version of Ramah's out. It won't let me load a mask file.
    To be more precise, it pulls up the requester, but then appears to ignore the fact I'm trying to load a mask to use, and sits there. When I first open the program it either sits there with a full layer of trees and the option bar across the top is missing, or if I'm lucky it IS there and it has a full square page of trees. Is there a specific order I should use for changing things around? Changing the numbers (fill, and density) changes the appearance, and shadow/shading works fine, I'm assuming mask works fine though it's hard to tell

I've tried it with a variety of filesizes, all the way down to 800px square, and I still get nothing but a single full square of trees.

I'm using XP with sp2 if that helps, and I do have the latest java installed.

My finished maps

Blog Entries

Hmm, no idea why that is. I haven't had a mask refuse to load before. Before tonight that is. I was having some out of heap memory errors while trying to load a mask that was bigger than 1024 x 1024. :S I have no idea how to fix that. It's very likely that it is because I have a zillion memory leaks in the program but... meh. The mask was only that big because I was trying to see what happened if I used one double size and then scaled it in PS. I think most forests should be able to fit in an image smaller than that. Anyway... sorry CM, no idea why that is happening.
    I'll post the latest version in a few minutes once I've zipped it etc. and see if that helps. It's still not completly feature complete but it's nearly there.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Blog Entries

Ok, here's the latest version.
    It should all be self-explanatory but there are a few things to watch.

The image now resizes itself to the frame window (except for when a mask is loaded). If you then increase the scale/density it will grow beyond the window and will slow down as it does more calculations. If you press generate it resizes itself to the window again so if you really need to have big trees etc. then use generate to speed up the process.
    You can change the brushes from the file menu. Just select the directory where the brushes are that you want. You may need to press Generate once they've changed though as there may be some graphical glitch. There's some residual variable left over from the previous set that I haven't nailed down yet. Generate clears it. Or probably any of the other buttons/menu items will clear it too.
    As I said in the last post, there seems to be a limit of 1024 x 1024 on the masks you can load. Bummer.
    Shade and Shadow brushes work with all trees. So if you have different size or shaped trees then shading will be bad. As in, you may get a nice round shading file placed over a tall, thin tree etc. Shadows will probably be ok.
    There are some naming conventions if you want to use your own brushes (saved as png files). All the trees need to begin with "Tree" (not case sensitive). You can have anything after that name as long as it begins with Tree. They will need some masks. The masks need to be the same shape as the tree and their filename needs to start with "Alpha". Again, you can have whatever you like after the word Alpha but be aware that if you have odd words or numbers after the tree and alpha names then they may load in the wrong order so a wrong mask will be loaded for a tree. Just call them the same name to be sure.
    You can also have "Shade" files and "Shadow" files. Again, you can have whatever you like after those two names but unlike the masks it makes no difference what order they are loaded in so call them whatever you like as long as they start with Shade and Shadow.
    Also, tree images should try to be kept at roughly the same width and height. It's ok to have a little variation but the program works on the widest and the tallest and not individually, so if you have a tree that is a lot smaller or fatter than others you may get bad placements.
    Just take a look in the image directory's included with the zip to see how it needs to be done.
    Umm... that's about it I think.

Hope this version works for you CM. Let me know how you get on.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ramah; 01-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Seems to work fine as long as I use small files.
    I tried making a mask for the forest layer and cut it to 1000px squares, but stitching them together is going to take a lot of effort, plus they don't seem to match up evenly - they seem to be not as square as they were when i put them in.

I think I'll finish the current map off with my current method (I used your tree layer again, why reinvent the wheel yet another time, hah) and then experiment on something that's not client critical

Btw don't take my comments as negative towards what you and fluesopp are doing - this is a wonderful program, and I fully expect to figure out a way to use it at some point

My finished maps

Blog Entries

You cut i down to 1000 px? How big are your damn forests? :s

Are you trying to put every single forest from the map in at once? Can't you do a forest or two at a time? I really doubt that a single forest is going to be bigger than that.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

You're right, smaller ones at once is a better way to go *d'oh*

But there are a few forests larger than 1000, yes. The full map is 4800x6600, and there's at least three forests that need to be chopped apart. Woo!

But yeah, I'm gonna retry - stitching together 3 forests will be easier than all of them

My finished maps

Ok, feedback time! The jitter is making it interesting to work with the masks. With no jitter, you can trust the forest to show up mostly withing the mask. Once you add the jitter, some of the trees (or large portions of them) end up outside the masked areas. I'm assuming they overlap the mask edges at that point. I did have all the jitter options turned on though. I also had the brush size set for 10 and x/y set for 3 each. I did end up having to go through and do a fair amount of erasing/masking along edges. I'm thinking if I decreased the mask size that might work (contract the selection by 5 or 10 perhaps) to reduce that happening. I really like the jitter effect - it really does make it look better. While working on the map, I had 15 forest masks set up for creation - it was actually quite easy to run them all through. If someone wanted to go nuts, they could make a batch image processing function to process all the images in a dir as alpha maps and save them with a modified filename No idea how hard that would be to set up though (i mention, because i see myself working at this filesize often in the future.. 4800x6600). If it's not worth the effort to implement, i'm not worried, this wasn't all that painful, the only tedious part was the saving under a new filename I still think this is one of the coolest things I've seen hit the forum. Yay!

My finished maps

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast