Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lands Of Sinisteria

I hadn't seen this one yet, but it's abselutely beautiful. I love the prerspective, it's something I've never seen before, and it really gives the map something special.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking very cool. The compass lines in the sea are off at the moment - they need to be warped to fit the perspective. Currently we're seeing them straight on. Otherwise it looks great. Glad to see it coming along so well (and very jealous of the Cintiq!)

thanks again all for the nice c&c! I removed the compass (needs redraw), did more coloring (didnt want to do clipping-masks but had to in the end, took me loads of time to get them right). the rumthingie-lines are in perspective but I guess the drawing itself is slightly off with respect to paper, making the lines look non-perspective indeed, i will fix that (thx for noticing torstan)... most of the time for this update was spend on the lille dragon that indeed was missing (thanks a2area for pointing that out). guess labelling, scales and compass are biggest leftovers for now (and of course more tuning on the line-work and colors) cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinisteria04.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	20371  

Hi all, another update. added compass and labels. mostly done now but the labels dont work yet. im thinking of making them all handdrawn as I cant get them to fit. Any hints, tips, suggestions really appreciated. Also the background is not really ok, maybe I should make it black or just leave it white... cheers

Name:	Sinisteria05.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1,005.5 KB 
ID:	20384  

Looking good - and the dragon looks great!

With the labels - I think you need to spread the letters out by in creasing the kerning. The black outline means that they look a lot like they run into each other and make them hard to read. Also, I'd lighten all the colours. The blue and green labels are tricky to read, especially with the black outline and the kerning.

The compass feels a bit off too - feels like we're looking down onto it rather than at it from the side. I have to say that I preferred the earlier version.

As for the background - I think it's fine. An alternative would be a table to continue the theme of a paper map on it's side. Or a more textured background - at the moment it's a bit too blurry.

Coming along nicely. Have a bit of rep to keep you going

Edit: damn - need to spread it around a bit.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I think you need to spread the letters out by in creasing the kerning.
    Sorry, I just found the space added to "increasing" to be particularly ironic/apprpriate considering the context of the sentence

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I thought it was just me, but like Torstan I think the perspective on the compas is slightly off, the rest of it is spot on though!!!

I wonder whether it would look cooler (as if it were possible!) if the labels were in perspective too?

I can't think of enough superlatives for this map...

thanks for the very usefull comments! I redid the labels with the kerning, lighter-color and tried some perspective in it. They are better but not yet as I imagined them. (Well, on my next map I'll take labelling earlier into account and blend them right in) Also redid the -completely out of perspective- compass (thats what you get when sitting too close to the drawingboard ) Finally did some small retouching. cheers

Name:	Sinisteria06.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	20397  

Looks great!

Perhaps some nice sharp highlights on the compass to show that it's metal? Perhaps desaturate some of the labels - that blue is rather bright? But really I'd call it done. This is lovely.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234