Thread: September Entry: Hornbeam's Device

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here is a quick test-shot against a weathered parchment BG.

Still just playing with transparency/etching styles at this point... I didn't bring all the engravings over into GIMP.

Wip

I still need to add the rest of the map detail, but this gives a feel for what the final result will be.

Might have overdone the sand on top, but we'll see...

-Rob A>

Yes, it is a bit too much sand, but I agree with Ravs, you seem to have a great master of masks. Well done. It feels very real.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I've tweaked the sand (less on top, and a bit more granular looking) and think I'll leave it...Now to finish the underlaying map...

-Rob A>

Map Final Entry - Hornbeam's Device

Hopefully in time for the cutoff-

The finished map. This is Hornbeam's field map where he jotted many of his notes down as he was constructing the device. The critical mark is a survey line he placed from Copperhead, facing due east (4 o'clock on his map). This allows him to compensate for the erroneous compass reading seen in the Glass Ocean. The shoreline to the sea is roughly sketched on the east side of the map.

The alignment symbols around the device correspond to the astrological symbols used (and are actually based on a distorted Inuit font). The image depicts his map on the sands of the Glass ocean, lined up for a reading, with the wind blowing on the map, and drifting around Hornbeam's device.

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornbeams Hypothysis Diagram.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	683.7 KB 
ID:	965  
    Last edited by RobA; 09-26-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Amazingly creative! Wow--what a neat idea!!!! Great work, Rob.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Map

Thanks for the feedback! I felt a bit rushed, but wanted to have a (more or less) complete entry.

BTW - attached is a photo of the concept sketch I made in the beginning...