Thread: WIP - Islands of Morhaven

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Morhaven, moor haven, haven in the moor (basic extrapolations of the name).
    A type of highland... could be meant ironically, that it is in fact an island chain that is subject to constant flooding, for instance. The haven part could either be taken from germanic, meaning harbour, or taken in the way as a sanctuary. If harbour would be its origin, it'd make sense for the islands, since they'd all need harbours. If the sanctuary meaning is intended, it emphasis the irony of the water being called a moor.

However, moor could also be interpreted (wrongly) as a marsh, which would imply the water in between the islands is shallow, and could have vegetation rising about the waves. It would be likely that the water would subside from this area at some point if they are marshes (else they'd be mangroves).
    This could present numerous places for the mythical and the fantastic to lay hidden, normally inaccessible. Which would explain the haven part.

As for the map itself, I like it =)
    The positioning and quantity of the islands allow for enough interaction between cultures, aswell as look natural (do note that I have no knowledge what makes it 'artificial' or 'natural'.. just the way I see it.. not based on anything else but my perception).
    Last edited by Imahilus; 01-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.