Thread: WIP - New map (as of yet unnamed)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've done a bit more work on it and added a border.

@rafaelrzacharias. Although I did plan for the lines around the coast to be thin as they were, I liked the 'blurry' style as well, so I've tried to combine them. I think it turned out pretty well, so thanks for the link to the tutorial.

@the-golem. I understand what you mean about the 'uniformness'. I've actually tried to do the forest as you suggested, but it didn't really work with these brushes because they're partly transparant. I wanted to use these brushes in particular because they fit in with the style of the mountains, so doing it like this was my other option. I did work on the forest a bit, to try to break up the outline and create some 'open' spaces in the forest itself. I think this also helps a bit to make the forests less like a chunk of trees, it looks a bit more natural like this.

As for the ripple effect around the land, this is how I did it. I work in Photoshop, so I don't know how to do this in other programs.

- First select your landmass. (I always do this by pressing ctrl and clicking on my land layer, it selects everything filled in on that layer, which is what I need).
    - Go to Select -> Modify -> Expand. I believe I expanded by 10 pixels. This is how far from the land your first riple is going to be.
    - Go to Edit -> Stroke. I think I stroked the first one with 2 px. This is how thick the first ripple will be.
    - Repeat this process, Expand the selection, (I usually expand 10 the fist time, 15 the second time, 20 the next, etc. But that's a personal choice.) Then stroke (I stroked the first line with 2 px. the second & third with 1 px).

- Once you've got as many lines as you want (I made 3), you create a new layer.
    - Fill the layer with solid black
    - Go to Filter -> Noice -> Add Noice. Set the amount as high as it goes (400 I believe), and make sure 'Monochromatic' is on.
    - Now you've got a layer filled with noice.
    - Make sure your foreground colour is set to black & background colour to white.
    - Go to Select -> Color range. Set the fuzziness to 0 and press OK.
    - Now go to the layer with the lines on it and press 'delete'.
    - Now you can delete your noice layer.

- As you'll see, the lines are pretty 'harsh' at the moment. So the last thing I did was go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian blur. Set the blur the way you like it (pretty low, otherwise you won't see a thing), and press OK.
    - Done

The rivers were (globally) done like this:
    - Draw a general outline with a bigger red brush
    - On a new layer, draw the rivers with a small (as big as your smallest rivers will be) brush (I used 3 px).
    - Delete the general red outline
    - Select the rivers (ctr click on the river layer)
    - Go to the land layer and pres delete.
    - Use the lasso to deselect every river you want to keep small. (keep alt pressed down to deselect a part of your selection)
    - Go to Select -> Modify -> Expand. and expand with 1 or 2 pixels.
    - Go to the land layer and press delete.
    - Repeat this process for bigger rivers.

What I've got so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP II.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	20349  
    Last edited by Saule; 01-16-2010 at 07:50 AM.