Thread: SCHWARI, Maloumba

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

While this is an absolutely awesome hand-drawn city map, and one of the best I've seen in a long time, I'm having some trouble reading it. I take it that the city is located on a river delta, and the buildings are concentrated on the little islands while there are bridges connecting these islands. But I'm seeing some conflicts in the outlining of the waters. What I think should be water appears to be land with scattered concentrations of buildings on it. Is it me reading the borders incorrectly? What are the dotted borders outlining? Is there a difference in depth of the water? Pray tell.

Also, the compass rose looks a little strange. It has what appears to be roman numerals, like on a clock, but from what I can tell, they translate to 6, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11...
    Last edited by Daelin; 01-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    While this is an absolutely awesome hand-drawn city map, and one of the best I've seen in a long time, I'm having some trouble reading it. I take it that the city is located on a river delta, and the buildings are concentrated on the little islands while there are bridges connecting these islands. But I'm seeing some conflicts in the outlining of the waters. What I think should be water appears to be land with scattered concentrations of buildings on it. Is it me reading the borders incorrectly? What are the dotted borders outlining? Is there a difference in depth of the water? Pray tell.

Also, the compass rose looks a little strange. It has what appears to be roman numerals, like on a clock, but from what I can tell, they translate to 6, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11...
    Can you read Maloumban numerals? haha.. c'mon.. just play along! I dunno what the numerals were supposed to be, i never liked that compass rose actually but don't read too much into it. I just wanted to give the map a finished look without going back to edit the actual map.. as the paper is worn thin and crumbly.

As for the rivers.. the dotted lines demarcate the floodplain channels which are dry for part of the year (and used for agriculture) and have roads criss-crossing them with the occasional bridge for the wet season... so some of those little islands are only part time islands. Many buildings/yards back right up to these flood areas. The year round river channels have a definite, albeit thin, line boundary. As for random darkened areas there are probably stains on the paper.

Does that help?
    Last edited by a2area; 01-18-2010 at 09:56 PM.