Thread: Game Maps With Google Maps Functionality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

This is most relevant to my interests. Now all I need is one of those table-sized smart PCs so i can have fancy schmancy maps, then when its battle time ... ZOOOOOOOOOOM! .. oh look, 1inch grids.

:-)

On a more serious note, if you download Google Earth, you might be able to tell it to use your own world, and thus use your maps offline. I'm guessing. It follows logically in my mind though.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I spent a bit of time looking, it does appear that the google maps API can be used to create maps using custom map tiles and custom data.
    http://code.google.com/apis/maps/doc...CustomMapTiles

I'll admit though, not being a programmer I started to nod off a bit when it started getting into examples.

Google Earth doesn't appear to have anything modifiable in this regard, all I could find was for custom maps using already existing imagery. Of course i only spent an hour looking, and there might be better search terms than I used, so someone else may have better luck.

Custom Map Types

Note: This is an Advanced Topic
    If you find the GTileLayerOverlay too limiting, you can define your own custom map type, and develop an entirely new display paradigm. To do so, construct a GMapType object and add it to the map using the GMap2.addMapType() method.
    Constructing a map type from scratch is an involved process. You will need to build a way to define and retrieve dynamic data to display on the map given current coordinates, and you will need to determine yourself how to reference and display tile images. How you do that is up to you; however, we can help you a little by explaining how Google Maps implements its tile references.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."