Thread: Ethka World Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Ethka World Map

This is my first post on this forum, so hello everybody!

I have a world that sorely needed an overhaul, so I've decided I'm going to do it right this time by slowly working on the ol' top-down process. The planet is approximately the same size as Earth with an axial tilt of ~22 degrees. Plate tectonics and landmasses are very loosely based projections of our Earth in the late Carboniferous era. Most of my work with the tectonics involved drawing and redrawing plates with sharpie on dead light bulbs.

For the projection here, I've used a style of mountains somewhere between satellite-style and the 1600-1800's hachure-style. I am eager to hear your impressions of it. I've used Inkscape and The GIMP to create the map. The other two images are how the features would really look on a sphere--achieved by creating an overlay for Google Earth with a .kml file. (Featuring one of my favorite fonts--Morpheus)

I hope to place rivers next and then to determine the different climate and vegetation zones. Any speculation, suggestions, comments or questions are very welcome.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_Map.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	21153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ethka_view-1.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	21154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ethka_view-2.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	361.2 KB 
ID:	21155  
    Last edited by McKenney; 02-01-2010 at 01:25 AM.