Quote Originally Posted by redleg7 View Post
Lol, funny you should mention CMSF. I know Steve Grammont who is one of the designers, a few years back he visited my lab at West Point. Talked with him for over an hour one night in regards to how to model the Artillery (FYI a "Redleg" is an artilleryman).

The CM series is really meant for the grognards who like a ton of detail. Unfortunately I only have an hour with the cadets which means I need a fairly easy game that they can start playing within five minutes, and master the interface within 10. There's also a requirement to model actual terrain, at a minimum use some kind of imagery, I still have to code the terrain by hand. I have access to all kinds of map data, but I prefer to work with geotypical maps nothing specific. That way no one can nit pick the area, especially if it's one they've been to.

I didn't think it would be to very easy to generate what I need, but I thought I'd ask. I made some great progress mainly due to Tear's great tutorial, as well as some private convos with a2area, and the CG site in general. The maps that I thought were pretty good are looking kind of bland compared to what I'm doing now, and that's a good thing.
Oh wow, how cool is that! I don't know if this might be any help (because I have no idea what you want your game to achieve) but Redrobes (one of the CLs) has software which does 3d terrain...might be worth having a chat with him? If want you want is to generate random terrains with contour lines, then the only suggestion I can make is that you get Fractal Terrains and Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy. You can make random heightmapped terrain in the former which you can export to the latter. The result will be a vector map with countour lines which you can set to whatever divisions you want to. Best of luck with your endeavours!