Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello and a question

Welcome! The laws regarding derivative works and fair use are somewhat hazy, and they vary by jurisdiction. That is, what is legal here in the United States might not be in Switzerland and vice versa. Generally speaking though, you should respect the wishes of the authors of the works you are referencing. Robin Hobb, for instance, allows fan art but not fan fiction. A map falls into a sort of limbo between the two, but I suspect that as long as the information contained in a fan-made map does not conflict with what is on the official maps, she would not have a problem with it.

The Eddings' have not posted a policy on fan work that I have seen, but their publisher, Del Rey, apparently have granted permission. (Oh my, David Eddings apparently died last year. I hadn't heard that.)

This is a matter that is somewhat important to me, as I created a map for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (found somewhere on this site), and I remain uncertain about its legality. Jordan authorized MUDs based on his world, but not fan fiction, and his opinion regarding visual interpretations is unknown. Though based on the qualities of the approved cover art, that can't have been too big a deal to him—Rand never looked the same in any of the paintings.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Well, however you see your work, one of the best things about this site is how it encourages and improves your map making skills.

There are a ton of styles and tools being used, as well as skill levels behind each of the posts here so just take off your hat and call it home.

Welcome aboard!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    This is a matter that is somewhat important to me, as I created a map for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (found somewhere on this site), and I remain uncertain about its legality. Jordan authorized MUDs based on his world, but not fan fiction, and his opinion regarding visual interpretations is unknown. Though based on the qualities of the approved cover art, that can't have been too big a deal to him—Rand never looked the same in any of the paintings.
    You do know Jordan died as well, correct? The Wheel of Time series is being completed by Brandon Sanderson who is excellent by the way. If you did not know this, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news even if it does mean you might have been living under a rock.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm a trap-door spider...wachaaa! My rock is my home
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    You do know Jordan died as well, correct?
    Yes, I knew, thus the past tense "can't have been." I've read The Gathering Storm, and it's superb. He managed to capture all of what I like about Jordan and pare away all of what I didn't. Truly masterful.

Anyway, if Jordan were still living, I'd feel pretty safe concerning the map, but his death drew a lot of attention to it, and I've had requests from a couple of people to use it in other works. Which means there are probably a good dozen people using it without permission.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 01-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks for your answers and welcome, everyone. I'll share my maps in the appropriate forum soon, then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12