Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Map: Ascension(ish) Style!

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing actually. But I showed it to my wife and she liked it much better than the original, so then I thought maybe it was just me. Course now I'm still uncertain which way I lean. Who knows, perhaps I'll experiment with other styles before I make a decision. Thanks for the input everybody.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If in doubt, trust in the wife

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

To me one is just ths slightest bit more arty and the other mappy. It's the difference of a hair. The original is more arty imo. The 2nd map border creates a more mappy or race car-ish look.....I think it depends on the viewer. It's a pretty small difference either way but I have to second what Coyotemax said, "If in ndoubt, trust the wife".

Ya see, the thing is, if you blow off what she said, then next time you go asking she may say, "Whatever, you don't listen to me anyway."

And now that I have typed out this logic I really believe you need to pick the one your wife liked. In fact, I highly recommend it. She gets like 10 votes anyway....that is if you know what's good for you! LOL
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm taking notes from Jax. Good stuff, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah... ignore the wife at your own risk, dude...

Haha, I was gonna go with Ascension, but yeah, don't ignore the wife
    Doodle it.

Sage advice fellow Guild members. I had a burst of inspiration though for doing another style altogether, so I might toy with the idea today and see what comes of it. If it goes badly though I think I'll be heeding my wife's recommendation (and of course the wisdom of the Guild).

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Alright, I think I've finally landed on a border style that I'm satisfied with. Initially I had intended to add decorative border ends, but after playing around with it a bit I ended up deciding that: (a) they were a bit of a distraction from the map itself, and: (b) they didn't look good enough to compensate for this distraction. I think that this style helps showcase the map a little better-the black seems to punch out the colors of the map rather than to compete with them. Best of all, while its been Arsheesh tested, iit's wife approved! Not that it was a big deal for her to begin with, but hey, glad to know that I have the support of my better half (who is also an interior designer/architect and knows quite a bit about art). Now the only thing left to do is name those roads and rivers. Heck, I might just finish this map before the start of my next semester of school after all.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The black really does work well. When i'm looking at the map, I don't even register that it's there, but the impression of "elegant border" remains. Excellent choice!

and in regards to the "better half (who is also an interior designer/architect and knows quite a bit about art)" - toldjaso!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Your map looks awesome! End of story.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast