Thread: Maps by Mike Schley

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Check out some of my newer maps here:
    Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
    Exemplars of Evil

OK. So 100% of my cartography is done in Photoshop, I use a Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet, and I haven't touched a Windows operating system in 10 years. They carry disease by the way. (Not viruses, DISEASE)

Typically I'll find a decent background/compass rose and work out a skeleton of the layout with brushes that emulate crisp ink pens. I'll go back later and clean them up as well as add ink details. Once I've got a black and white line drawing of the map, I'll start with the color work. Using the selection wand, I'll group sections like floors and walls into alpha channels so that I can create masks with them later. (This helps greatly when your painting) The rest involves a lot of brushwork and texture manipulation that will take quite a while to discuss.

Alpha channels and layers! The best things since sliced bread and cheese.

More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Schley View Post
    Check out some of my newer maps here:
    Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
    Exemplars of Evil

OK. So 100% of my cartography is done in Photoshop, I use a Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet, and I haven't touched a Windows operating system in 10 years. They carry disease by the way. (Not viruses, DISEASE)

Typically I'll find a decent background/compass rose and work out a skeleton of the layout with brushes that emulate crisp ink pens. I'll go back later and clean them up as well as add ink details. Once I've got a black and white line drawing of the map, I'll start with the color work. Using the selection wand, I'll group sections like floors and walls into alpha channels so that I can create masks with them later. (This helps greatly when your painting) The rest involves a lot of brushwork and texture manipulation that will take quite a while to discuss.

Alpha channels and layers! The best things since sliced bread and cheese.

More to come...

Well Mike, I am please to say that your style of maps from Ruins of Castle Greyhawk inspire me the most, and is a style I am strting to try and emulate.

Thank You sir!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave