Thread: Types of plotter/printer for Adobe illustrator?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Both, I think. Others will read this post as well. But the answer also gives a thorough look at all that's involved.

I've used other larger format printers for example, but they required a separate hardware or software RIP which is anywhere from $1500 to $5000 more than just buying the printer alone. The Canon IP8100 is the first large format printer that allows me to print directly from Photoshop, via a plug-in which is much more cost effective, far better at controlling colors since all is done within Photoshop and simply an easier production workflow. Being that its a Canon and in direct competions to Epson's large format color printer its aimed for high end photographic work, which makes it ideal as a map printer.

It sounds like Beck11 is looking for doing this commercially himself - in a map print shop. I wanted to fill in some of the details in what I do, to let him know what additional equipment/services would be necessary if he did this himself.

Also it tells him and others that such a service "map printing" already exists - that I am very competitive in pricing (I'm cheaper than any Kinko's or other online printing resource.) So if he wants to compete its actually harder to do, since my profit margin is so thin. You'd have to sell them at cost to beat my price, and most won't be able to do that.

And Beck11, if you have any questions more specific than the one you posted, I'd be more than happy to answer - I'm not afraid of competition.

Sorry to sound like a "salesman" but its hard not to...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you for your information. Everything you've said will be taken on board.