Thread: [Award Winner] Creating Realistic Coastlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hmm I can't seem to get it to work properly...what were the dimensions of the image you were using to start with? I think it may be a question of scaling the noise correctly relative to the image size

Cheers

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hmm I can't seem to get it to work properly...what were the dimensions of the image you were using to start with? I think it may be a question of scaling the noise correctly relative to the image size

Cheers

Ravs
    That is exactly it. My first drawing was 1440 x 830 @ 72 dpi (designed to be a wallpaper for my notebook). Last night I was testing to see how PS handled a big image as part of determining how big I want to make my continent map. I used 7200 x 7200 (24" x 24" @ 300 dpi) and made eight layers with clouds rendered on them. PS handled this very well. At 150 mb per layer that's a 1.2 gb drawing!

I then tried creating a sample map using the technique described above. The noise was completely lost at that scale. I spent half an hour with other filters trying to create larger noise "chunks" but wasn't very successful. Mosaic seems the most promising so far but I haven't found anything that I would call a success at that resolution yet.

EDIT: Maybe I'm slow and this is what you were hinting at, but it just occurred to me to create another drawing at a smaller res, apply noise, rescale the noise drawing to match your map drawing and then copy and paste the noise drawing into your map drawing.
    Last edited by OldGuy; 01-30-2010 at 09:42 PM.