Thread: First map: Unnamed WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're using Photoshop then you can always just use my original tutorial but the only the only thing that I see is that the big river in the middle splits...river's don't split and stay split, they join except in deltas. All of the other rivers are fine. Pretty good so far, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

First update!
    Thanks for the comments guys =)
    I had a look at some other rivers (real and made here), and turns out squiggly isn't too bad. I did undo the river split, made a new river somewhat parallel to the original river. Not much left of it now though, since i also added forests, which almost completely covered it up. Maybe if you squint you can spot some curves poking out between the trees
    Also redid the ocean, but i still want to finish it off by putting Ascension's ocean tile on the surface to get that cool wavey effect.
    And finally, I think I somehow messed up the snowpeaks layer, so i put some in manually

The things I'm not so sure of are the shrubs scattered between the forests, and the grey 'dead' forest in the top left corner...
    Let's hear that criticism!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nameWIP.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	21670  
    Doodle it.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

That looks pretty damn good!

Makes me seriously want to give that tutorial a whirl too, even though I'm actually not the biggest fan of sat-style maps around here. You may take that as a compliment.

The rivers could be slightly more noticeable though, but that's probably just me.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Man, that is looking seriously nice. The only thing that looks funky to me is that odd mottling effect between the forests in the west.