Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid Commission - 3d Experiment

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do see hedges, pretty cool stuff there bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

that is coming along very nicely!! And it took a few moments but I did find the hedges I love what you're doing with the buildings..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Cheers guys! It's all done now bar the final city labelling. For once I played to Bryce's strengths and it's a beauty when it plays nice. Just doing the final render set now and then this will be done.

Here it is - first final render with labels. Tell me if you'd prefer it from another angle.

This version won't be much cop for printing - you mentioned A3 so the render will have to be pretty massive to work at 300 dpi. Once you're happy with the final presentation we can do the big one (I'll probably have to leave the computer running all night).

best

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final labelled_03.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	21904  

Wow Ravells, that is amazing! I love the three dimensional towns. Very impressive indeed. Here's a smidge of rep to add to your well known name.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't make out the label around Oldridge Town - it seems upside down. I can see East Country and Southern Forest well enough. The dark lines I think are roads in some places and rivers in others. Overall, though, it looks pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What else can I say other than 'beyond my wildest expectations'?

That angle would be great, and it highlights the land from the capital - which everyone knows is the centre of the Universe

Amazing work, amazing....

IF it was possible (IF), a direct top down one would be sweet at some point as well - just in case I find a way to "Googlemap" the thing and add POI details of the towns, and maybe even use it to calculate distances etc (Thats a fantasy for one day in the future) ;p

The only thing I think at this late point is you might want to upsample the HF a bit. The mountains are a tad too... sharp edged. What is the resolution on your HF now? The default is, I think 256x256. From the look of it, if you did this all with one terrain object, it would have to be at least 1024sq. As a rule, I tend to use 2048 resolution in bryce, but for a big image, you might want to splurge on 4096. I wouldn't say that for a screen image, but if your going for an overnight render, it might be worth it. On the happy end B7 seems to render much faster than 5 and 6 ever did. Just a C&C for what it's worth. In any case it's a lovely job. Good on ya mate!

Thanks all,

Ascension: yeah, that label is 'the green hills' - I forgot to move it. I'll have to do that in the original PS file and then swap with the the one in Bryce now that the angle of view is finalised. The dark lines are all meant to be roads - I didn't really spend enought time on them.... the only rivers are south of the mountains (weird but that's what the ref pic said). Also I ended up rushing the rivers a bit and placing them by hand so they er.. go uphill at times. (cuff me and take me to the station now, officer).

Su Liam: The land is not created from a HF but it's a soft modelled mesh which has been uv painted. The mesh is rectangular (I would make it square if I were to do this again simply because I could swap in heightfields etc - it's just easier). Interesting what you say about the mountains being sharp, I ran the mesh through Bryce's smoothing function (there were ridiculously sharp before, so much so that you could pretty much see the mesh faces meeting at a single vertex) and it seemed to work pretty well. I might try a more aggressive Bryce smooth and see what happens. B7 has a few new bells on whistles on it which has really improved it. When you're dragging objects around, they cast a wire frame 'shadow' on the ground plane so its easier to move them in the director's view, and as you say, the rendering is much faster.

Cheers guys!

Top Down view as requested. I've run out of time so you'll have to label it yourself though. Just take into Gimp, Inkscape or micrsoft paint and stick the labels on. You can find some nice fonts at www.dafont.com

best

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topdown.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	21954  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast