Thread: Photoshop users: Can you help me to get this tutorial to work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think I've got there, it's not quite the same, but I think it's better. That's the good news. The bad news is that the only way I can do it is to use a 3rd party filter (constellation from the Alienskin Xenoflex 2 filter set). What the filter does is create randomly distributed white circles within a selected area. You can adjust the density, the initial size, the size variation and the edge density (unfortunately the last upward only; it would have been lovely to have the slider allow you to make the edges less dense so you could get the impression of scattered trees at the edge of the forest). You can also change the random seed number so it distributes differently with the other settings left the same. I filled identical selections on four layers each with bevel/emboss layer style with the circles. If I had done one layer which was 4 times as dense the bevel and emboss would have applied to overlapping circles, by keeping the layers separate each individual circle retains its own shape giving, (IMO) a more individual 'tree-top' feel. The top layer I didn't bevel and emboss (it just looked better that way). Here are 4 images with the layers being gradually added and the underlying pattern I used for the selection, although when I do it again, I think I'll apply the forest to the whole landmass and use a mask. I would probably also change the colour of the trees on some layers to add some variation.

So the 64 million dollar question is whether there is a native PS filter which can do what the constellation filter does (create randomly distributed circles with adjustable size) - cos if there is, I think we've found a really nice new way of doing forests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	21839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	21840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	21841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	21842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	21843