If you've read any Stephen King, he was heavily influenced by Lovecraft. King's spookier works start to show those elements. Room 1408 (recently made into a half decent movie) is one such story. That may help a bit too, with some more modern reference

The Elder Gods, as we refer to them, are a very strange bunch, and like Juggernaut says, they're either entirely hostile and offended by our existence, or just doing their thing and don't care or notice, and we just get swept up in the psychic backlash of their mere presence And then there's the ones where it's creepy inbred backwoods mountainmen finding strange things in the forests and they head in to town with weird ideas in their heads, and no one is happy after that, heh.

It's great stuff!! I highly recommend! there's some great collections out these days too. One of my favourites from the newer authors writing in the style is Pickman's Modem (a take-off on Pickman's Model, a Lovecraft story) where the modem has it's own dark agenda and warps the bbs and newsgroup postings that it's owner is subscribed to

So yeah, that gives you a small inkling of how looking forward to this map I am